PB or iB?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jlambert, Apr 1, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get my first apple computer and I'm having trouble deciding between the 12in iBook or PB. I don't want anything bulky and I'll be using it for college while I study math, physics, and c++ programming.

I already know I want the max amount of ram availiable for both those systems and I want the combo drive. I will also need an airport card for internet around campus. but other than that I can't tell if I REALLY need the PB.

I don't have a lot of money to spend and since I'm 17 my girlfriend (who is 18) decided to do the appleloan thing and help me get it. I'll be paying about $400/mnth so I can pay it off A LOT earlier and get back all the finance charges (interest I assume) like it says on the apple site.

I dont want to spend anything over 1.7g really as I want to be able to save for other things and I really like the white clear look to the iBook.

Any suggestions?

btw, this is what I currently have picked out...

$1,583.95
    • 640MB SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
    • 30GB Ultra ATA drive
    • DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
    • AirPort Card
    • Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • .Mac Promotional Bundle
    • ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 w/ 32MB VRAM
    • Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
    • 12.1-inch TFT XGA display

2. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I would say the iBook. If you just want to take it to school and do everyday stuff on it and you don't have to do video editing or a lot of Photoshop work, you probably wouldn't need the G4. Plus, the iBook is more rugged so you can just pop it into your school bag and not worry about it getting broken or anything. It truly is an ideal machine for a student (I want one sooo bad).

Oh, and about the AppleLoan, make sure you keep up with the $400/month because it really is not such a good deal unless you pay it off REALLY fast.

irmongoose

3. macrumors 68020

You might be able to whittle down the cost by getting that extra RAM somewhere else. Otherwise that sounds like a great computer. Agreed with irmongoose on the ruggedness issue, the iBooks are the best in that regard.

4. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

For what you are doing and for a limited budget I would recommend an iBook. They are a great value and are a very well designed computer.

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Oh, and don't get RAM from Apple.. they are waay too expensive and you can get much better deals if you buy it from other places.

irmongoose

6. macrumors member

The ibook gets better bat life too. My aipowerbook 12 inch gets 2.5 hours max!!!!

7. macrumors member

With airport or without?

8. macrumors member

with airport. 3 without. But he wants to use the campus network so he will be using the card all the time too. I am going to have to get a extra bat for mine....

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank everyone...I'll be getting this...

$1,393.95
    • 128MB SDRAM built-in
    • 30GB Ultra ATA drive
    • DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
    • AirPort Card
    • Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • .Mac Promotional Bundle
    • ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 w/ 32MB VRAM
    • Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
    • 12.1-inch TFT XGA display

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to ask....how easy is it to put the ram in? does the keyboard just pop off?

11. Nuc
    macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I am not sure as to what your school schedule is like. However since you only have about a month or so left of it I would hold out buying a iBook until later this summer. That is unless you are going to summer school... There will probably be some updates, and the price of the computer you have listed now will drop in price so hold out unless you really need it.

Edit: The ram was easy to replace in my powerbook, Apple sends a book on how to replace the RAM (or at least they used to). Or you can go on their website and find out how to do this..

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be starting school this summer, working full-time during the day and taking classes at night.

13. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, but there are a few things you should know before doing it yourself. You can void the warranty or something of you screw around with the wrong things in there. I'll let someone else elaborate, or you can just go to the discussion board at Apple.com (look under 'Support'), where they get questions like that all the time. They're pros at answering questions like that from switchers. :)

14. macrumors 65816

Foxer

I consistently get 3 to 3.5 on mine (with airport extreme). Are you listening to iTunes alot or something? That's what the iPod sitting next to the PowerBook is for!:D

15. macrumors member

Foxer,
    Nope just surfing. And sadly I have no ipod yet
    My kids use it to watch dvds when we travel too.
    Thats why I need the other battery. As I type this I am lounging under a tree in my front yard while the kids are playing..... God you gotta luv the airport!!!!!

16. macrumors 65816

whocares

*Pop out keyboard
    *Unplug and remove Airport card (if any)
    *Unscrew two screws (really obvious ones) and remove metal tray
    *insert ram chip
    *put it back together

Unless you decided to prod around inside with the screw driver or you high on narcotics, it should be a piece of cake. 'bout 2 minutes infact. The trickiest part is inserting the chip in the slot...
    The only thing to be carefull about is not to damage the keyboard connector.

17. macrumors 6502a

macphoria

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Bah, I think I may have to bash my head against the wall and hold onto my patience, unless I get a 12in PB. I've talked myself almost out of it with all these rumors flying around.

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

prediction...if I bought the 12in power book instead how long would it last me...versus what may come out in june, july. which would have better wireless range? support? current iBook or current 12in PB?

20. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Apples last a long time so they are worth the investment. I was gunning for a PB but i have just bought a iB just for doing college work like Java and Flash animation and it runs brilliantly.

Of course i listen to music as well and in only 2 weeks of having it i only have 13Gb left on it, most of the space is taken up by the futurama episodes i have downloaded.

Battery life for me is 5.5hours regularly.

Memory is a bitch to add as the screws are tiny as hell to take off but once done, never done again!

Its so light and tiny as well, the screen is perfect incidentally. I would suggest you get it now, it'll last you for quite some time.

21. macrumors 6502a

macphoria

New iBook, if it turns out to be complete overhaul and not just processor upgrade, might be worth the wait. With Panther just around the corner, it is possible that latest hardware will have better compatibility with new softwares than older hardware.

22. macrumors member

So, RAM CAN be added to an iBook post-purchase...does it void warrenty though?

23. macrumors 65816

benixau

no. Apple is good when it comes to customizing their machines. the only thing you are not allowed to do it anything that utilates the hardware i.e. soldering to o/c it.

other than that. you can theoretically replace the optical, HDD, RAM (in slots), processor if it is not soldered on it some way, AP/AP-X. thats about it for a notebook. anything else will ilkely viod our warrany.

the only thing is - if the problem is related to the part you changed (i.e. not done by an apple service center) the you will have to pay.

BUT - the HDD is unlikely to cause your LCD to fail.
    RAM can be replaced cheaper than going to apple.

good luck (ps - im rooting for the pb)

24. macrumors newbie

TRUST ME BIG TIME IBOOKS ARE SO SLOW
    YOU GOTTA GET A PB
    SO MUCH BETTER MAN
    LIKE I MEAN IF YOU WANT MP3 ON UR MAC IT WILL TAKE YOU BOUT AN HOUR TO UPLOAD IT TO YOUR MAC FROM A CD

25. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

alexlai50-

Please stop writing in all caps. It's the equivalent of yelling on line.

Thanks. :)