PB overclocked??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by donniedarko, Feb 4, 2005.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I saw a thread showing the Mac Mini's were over clocked and technically could be overclocked to 1.5 ghz...
    I'm not super knowledgeable about this but is this how they do the power books. Are they just overclocked in the same fashion?
    Thanks

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm about 99% sure any overclocking to a current apple notebook would be done through the hardware as in soldering resisters. I don't recommend doing this, especially if you don't know how to solder well. I haven't personally seen any overclocking guides for recent powerbooks.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Can you say "meltdown"? Trying to overclock a PB would be a dumb idea.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

A friend of mine tried to overclock his wall street PB. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I'm not sure what he did, but I know he fried the thing. The small difference in performance isn't really worth it.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You are also forgetting battery life, I mean at present the PB get somewhere between 2.5-3.5 hours with the processor over-clocked what do you think it will be then. Might not be a big difference however when you are mobile every minute of battery life is great. :)

I would not mind over-clocking an iBook though. ;) :)

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

When you do not know how something works properly then you are bound to make mistakes. You win some you loose some. ;) :)

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I wonder how much a g3 iBook can be over clocked, because I got a PB on the way, so don't want to mess that up.

8. SDW2001 macrumors newbie

Not Reall Thatt Dumb

That's not necessarily true. People used to do it to their 400 MHZ Pismos all the time. In fact, the things had the same chip them that 500's did if I recall.

As for battery life (someone else mentioned that), that isn't a big deal some people that use their book as a desktop replacement anyway.

I'm not saying I would do it, but I might if there was a good guide available.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Why would you want to overclock when you can just buy some RAM? I would think that the increase in RAM would increase the speed more then a slight bump in processor speed.

10. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

The Pismo's were easily overclocked by changing the Processor card. No soldering involved. If you have a 400mhz, you can pop out the card and replace with a 500mhz, its simple....But as far as actaully overclocking the current cpu, as suggested above, you better be tite with your solder gun as usually you can patch a piece of wire beween two points (that i wont mention) and get a 50-100mhz bump. Just remeber though soldering the points is like trying to pick a dust might of a gnats b_lls:)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Still stuck with a crap bus speed.

Its like having a sports only to drive at the speed limit of the road. Pointless, its all bragging. :rolleyes:

Might just save a second or two at best, for all this trouble. :)