PB Owner: Weak Top

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by i4k20c, Oct 18, 2005.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hey guys-

I have a question, i have purchased a 12 inch powerbook. When the lid is closed, if you push down in the center of what would be lcd (by the white apple logo).. it almost bends in alot. This has kinda got me worried as too how fragile it is. Is it supposed to move in and bend that much when you push on it?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You're not meant to push on it! It's not designed to support a lot of weight...

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hmm, i understand this. But i use a sleeve to protect it, and than i put it in my backpack. Sometimes i put binders and such in my backpack as well, and now im reconsidering ever doing that because of how much it bends.. that is why im asking if its typical o be able to push down on it like that..

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you're putting it in a backpack, then put the binders/books in first so that the Powerbook is leaning on them rather than them leaning on the Powerbook.

You shouldn't harm it with light books for a short time although you might end up with the finger oils from your keyboard on the screen requiring a clean. But obviously, anything too heavy that's putting long-term pressure on your scren isn't a good thing - particularly in a single spot where the pressure isn't being dissipated by the larger lid area.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

get a better backpack that actually protects the powerbook if you are so worried

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Don't press down on it :p