PB power adapter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Boobs, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Boobs macrumors newbie

Has any one else noticed that when they plug in their power adapter to their PowerBook, they can "hear" the PB working on the inside? When I unplug it, my computer goes back to being silent. It makes noises for everything from mouse tracking to page scrolling. It's really weird. Anyone else have this happen to them, or know what could be causing it?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive never noticed anything on mine, mine is silent unless the fans kick in, i would take your book into an apple store or send it out to get repaired if it is under warranty, seems fishy to me

3. Boobs thread starter macrumors newbie

A little more info, it only happens when my power adapter is plugged in and my processor performance is set to highest. At reduced or automatic my PB is back to being silent.

4. jim. macrumors 6502

This is a known issue with Powerbooks. From what I have read it has to do with the G4 and the "Nap" energy saving. Many report that if you install the developer tools and CHUD (On VersionTracker) you can disable the Nap setting and the sound stops at the expense of greater energy consumption. This has also been discussed here in the forums before, and you can find it on many pages if you look on google.

Jim