PB Power Adaptor Mix-up!?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rikers_mailbox, Jul 11, 2004.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Here's the deal:

I have 2 PBs, a 12" 1.33GHz and a 15" 1GHz. I was not aware until now that the 12" power cable supplies 45 Watts, and the 15" supplies 65 Watts!! I *know* I've mixed the two power cords up, and used the 65 watter on the 12" TiBook (and vice-versa).

What kind of bad things could I have caused?

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Using the 65 watt adapter on the PB12 should not cause any problems (assuming the voltages are the same) as the PB12 would simply not draw the whole 65 watts (similar to how you can have a battery and connect one small lightbulb to it and it will draw a small current while a larger bulb will draw more, possibly up to the max available on the battery).

However, going the other direction may cause problems. Plugging the more power-hungry PB15 into the PB12's adapter could cause the adapter to overload since the PB15 will "want" to draw more power than the smaller adapter can provide. You'd probably first notice this as excessive heat, but it's entirely possible that Apple designed the adapter to gracefully handle an overload condition and not burn-out (which would mean that your PB15 would simply charge at a slower rate since it cannot draw the full power).

Either way, I'd avoid mixing the stuff up, but since you've done it several times already, I think it's shown that the stuff is either 1) not running at the design limits or 2) can handle "errors" gracefully.

Mike

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the help. I'm a mechanical guy. . not electrical. Watts, voltages, amps. . it brings back bad memories of EECS classes. :)

Anyways, you're making sense to me. I think i read somewhere that the power adapters have auto switch-off thingies in the event that too much power is being drawn. . . (and actually i remember one of my computers not charging cause the power adapter was acting funny!) So it looks like no harm, no foul here. I'll be sure to keep the chargers separate from now on.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

like the other poster said, shouldn't be a problem to use the 65 watter on the 12", at the very least.

my original 45 watter died for my PB so i bought a replacement one from apple. the only one they sell for all the PBs is the 65 watter. so using the 65 watter on the 12" should be 100% ok.

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Hmm, I think you may be wrong. I'm not an expert, but the old 45 watt power adapters had a larger plug that then new 65s, and they were the ufo shaped, then the 65s were ufo, the they turned into the brick. I think the last thing to use a 45 was the clamshell, and the g3 powerbook. Aren't all Ti books and Al Books (12,15,17) 65w? I'm pretty sure.

6. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah. . . i saw that when i was doing my homework on apple.com before posting. But, looking at the Tech Specs page under "Battery and Power" it says:
    I'd look at my power cable to see if i indeed have one 65 W and one 45 W. . but I'm on the road right now with only one cable (it the 65 Watter). I'll post again after I've checked.