Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Hello:

It's been ages since I've had to post a hardware/software issue: I love my chosen platform...

BUT:

Since I installed the 10.3.8 update my PB 867/640 RAM/40 G HD/Combo Drive has been exhibiting a weird problem: at least once a day, when I open the lid to wake it from sleep, the keyboard and trackpad are completely unresponsive: the machine seems to function normally otherwise, since it keeps track of time: I just can't place any input at all. My USB and Apple wireless mouse and keyboard are equally uneffective: but the clock keeps ticking which makes me believe that the machine is operating normally save for not letting me input anything. The only thing I can do is hold down the power button, wait for the shut down, then run fsck -f (it's running Panther of course) at restart. Of course, the resulting test yields no errors. Has anuone else experienced the same on Rev. A 12" PowerBooks? Should I revert to 10.3.7? Everything seems to work except built-in input devices... What is going on? Normally I do not post at Apple forums... should I try this out there?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I would try reverting back to 10.3.7. If everything works normally, then you will know that 10.3.8 was the culprit.

also, when you open the lid and everything is unresponsive... did you ever try closing the lid and reopening it again?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Yes, I tried that

I tried closing then opening the lid: it did not help. I think I will have to revert to 10.3.7. I hope my PB is not dying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.