PB rev E or 1.83 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juble, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. juble macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    #1
    I'm a final year film student in NZ; is it still worth me buying a last gen PB or should I go for a 1.83 MBP? Considering they are the same educational price ($3400), do you think they would have the same lifespan until I have to upgrade again, or the would MBP take the edge? I'd be looking at putting another 1GB of RAM inside both.

    What is performance of the 1.83 like compared to the 2.0 ($800 more)? Is the performance that much of an increase in apps like Final Cut Pro, over a) the PB and b) 1.83 duo vs 2.0 duo? :confused:

    Cheers.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    I don't think it would be sensible to spend that amount of money on a PPC machine since you plan on keeping it for more than a few years. Really, I see the MacBook as the only option. However, aim for even more RAM (Rosetta is a RAM hog) and remember that there'll be a period of time when you'll struggle to find Intel versions of pro apps. This will soon change though. :)
     
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #3
    The 1.83ghz MBP is an amazing machine, and the less you spend now the sooner you can buy a new machine. Unless you use Photoshop, Flash, Maya, or similar apps a lot, go for the MBP now.
     
  4. nrd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    I agree. I recently got a MBP 2.0 and it's wonderful. It's as responsive as my desktop G5 was and I've only hit a snag software-wise with some wardriving apps.
     
  5. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #5
    I'd go for the MBP

    It's still not sure whether you'll end up with one of the crappy horizontal line powerbooks (like my Rev E 15") and then you'll be left with a real stinker and wish you would have gone for the MBP instead...

    I got a refund om my Rev E 15" because of the problems and bought a 20" imac and don't regret it. I will buy a 13.3" mac book too (when they become available)...
     
  6. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #6
    definitely macbook pro! the G4 systems are already looking a bit old. you might wan to wait a while to see if the current mbp's are indeed a 'filler' product with the actual rev A's coming out soon. However, if they are sufficient for your needs then don't think twice...you could wait forever!
     
  7. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

    iHeartTheApple

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    Hmm, I'm not quite following what you mean by this...:confused: :eek: I thought the rev.A's are already out. Sorry, Student_Trap. Can you explain what you meant by this? (go easy on me, I'm tired today ;) )

    For the OP: It sounds like a MBP would be just what you're looking for. Good luck with your decision! :)
     
  8. juble thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    #8
    Thanks guys,

    The reason I asked is because I just had my new revE PB was stolen a few weeks ago and was rethinking whether to replace it or get a MBP instead...they're not here for another few weeks though (things take a while when you live at the bottom of the world).

    The lack of a DL drive, is a bit 'noying but oh well. If I wanted to change to a DL or other drive later down the track, can I still do that under my warranty?

    Cheers
     
  9. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #9
     
  10. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London

Share This Page