PB screen question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pumbaa, Jul 21, 2005.

1. pumbaa macrumors newbie

I just bought a PB 12 model and after I started it up, I noticed the screen had a gradation from dark at the top to light on the bottom. Being a desktop user, I thought I just needed to get used to the viewing angle of the screen, but in any position, it still has this effect. I called Apple and had the screen replaced but it still looks the same to me. Do PB screens exhibit this tendency or not? Granted, I am used to larger displays but it doesn't seem right. Anybody experience this? thanks.

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I have had this occur with my 15" Pb expecially when looking at a solid color, but I've noticed but sitting in the same position and tilting the screen I can usually eliminate the effect. I'm not so sure you have a display problem.

3. pumbaa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my background set to neutral grey (I'm a print designer) and no matter how I tilt the screen, I get the gradated effect. The shadow underneath the menu bar is particularly dark and the dock/icons looks washed-out. I know this isn't for color correcting but I would like to have a uniform-lookng screen. Is this still an Apple issue?

4. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

like the ibook, the 12 inch powerbook has a pathetic display. it is sort off and apple issue, as it is there fault for going cheap on the screen. just buy a nice external monitor, and everything will be fine.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 12 inch PB last month. The only thing I noticed on my screen is that the two lower corners, an area of about 1/2 inch, are just a tad lighter. It's hardly noticable except on bright solid colors. I used PiXel Check to examine the rest of my screen in solid colors, I noticed very slight differences in the brightness in different areas of the screen but I really had to look for them, otherwise they aren't noticable. There may be slight veriations in pressure on different parts of the screen during the manufacturing process. This may cause some slight color variations, sort of like when you press you finger against the screen and it gets a light distortion. I suspect this problem isn't just on Apple displays and probably happens on other PC laptops as well.

6. dannyk macrumors newbie

Late to this converation with pretty much the same q: My brand new pbook has the identical problem except 1/2 inch on both bottom corners are slightly darker, rather than lighter. This isn't the case on an older, smaller ibook...do I just live with it?