PB sleeping

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 27, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I was wondering if theres a way to make my PB not close down the programs i'm working on or leaving open when it goes to sleep. Whenever i close it, it shuts down all my open programs and it is a little annoying when i'm waiting for a message on AIM and i decide to close the lid because i'm going away for a short time. But i don't want to leave the lid open, i never know whos going to come inn my room and put their fingers all over the screen (little brothers)

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The applications shouldn't quit when you put it to sleep, do you need to restart apps when you wake the computer? if so you have a serious problem of some kind.

Other wise sleeping is much like shutting down the computer, except the CPU is inactive but the contents of RAM are maintained (overly simplified explanation sorry). For all intents and purposes when you sleep the computer it is off, there isn't any way to keep programs running, if you need that then you'll have to leave the screen up.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

What happens is i'll close the lid and then when i open it again it restart any programs that it closed. Like if i have aim running and then close the lid and open it again after a few minutes of sleeping. The program will turn back on (automatically resign me in). But if i leave a window open for safari then it will still be there when i open the lid again.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

AIM (and any other IM service) is supposed to sign off because you are no longer connected to the internet when you put the computer to sleep.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

If you close the lid, it will goto sleep. You can wake it up, with an external mouse though.
    Also there is an app called nosleep or something like it, on versiontracker.com. It would let you do exactly what you want.

cheers