PB Stand, found this...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 17, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

2. wide macrumors 6502a

hmm... it might work, but it looks like two barbecue skewers bent into a curved shape and criss-crossed then soldered at the intersection point. in other words, it's a ripoff. don't fall for it, there are much better ones out there that actually cool your computer with fans and expand your desk space (you can put stuff underneath some of the stands)

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

so can you make a suggestion as to which one i should buy. I don't want to spend more than 20 if that at all. I know there is the cooling system thing for about 30, thats worth considering because it definatly helps. Any other suggestions?

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Damn, I can make that $10 pos w/ some clothe hanger.

You don't need any notebook cooling crap. They're all a waste of money.

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would go with the CoolPad, my girlfriend and i both have it and its great, the pivot is useful and its actually easier to type on, the iCurve causes you to have another keyboard for it to be useful at all, and the CoolPad is also adjustable...just my .02 cents

7. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

This One cost only $12.99 :)

8. wide macrumors 6502a

are cooling items really necessary for apple notebooks? they do make the computer less hot, but that really shouldn't be a problem. if my computer sets on fire one night because i left it running a virus scan with the lid closed, that is dell's fault and dell would pay for the damages (and lawyer fees :D). is that the case with apple? which apple notebooks can run applications with the lid closed? or does the notebook automatically go on standby when the lid is closed?

i personally do not mind a hot computer so long as i know the computer will not break on me. i really don't think cooling pads are necessary, just ammenity. is this just my cheap self or reality?

9. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.G4

Is the cooling pad you linked to the same as the targus version? I know targus makes good stuff, and i don't want to get stuck with a piece of junk when i could have spent 10$ more and got the real deal.

10. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

No, it's not the same.
    I have it. It's pretty good.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.G4

You have the targus version or the one in the link above? Can you tell me anything about it?

12. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Almost looks homemade. Go with Targus. Or if you really want cheap....
    use an egg carton :D

13. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

As of right now i'm going to order the targus because it seems to be the best solution for cooling a pb. I'm most likely going to have it on all the time so i'm going to need something to help keep it cool, not just have it lifted off the desk and hoping it stays cool enough for the fan not to come on.

14. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Portability, Lounging?

It seems like none of these would be suitable to some lounging around the house, that is, it would be a bit difficult using them if you're relaxing in bed or on the couch using the wireless.

If anyone has any suggestions for LAP powerbook use let me know my thighs are cooking.

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Dude, after seeing that I decided to make my own clothes hanger stand. Here is what you do, bend the hoook part up so it will catch the book, and bend the two sides down, voila. If anybody is interested I can take some pictures.

16. hoffie macrumors newbie

The iRac has been great for me

I just wanted to put in my 2¢ about the iRac (http://www.theiRac.com).

I recommend the product.

I ordered one a few months ago because I wanted to reduce the fan noise on my laptop (not add more fans). It has simple design, it is not expensive and it holds the laptop in a stable way.

I didn't really think coat hangers or egg cartons would look really good on my desk at work, so I found a product that looks nice and functions well.