PB Superdrive firmware upgrade opinions and media questions.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by diavolo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. diavolo macrumors member

I've been reading some posts about the firmware upgrade that enables Powerbook Superdrives to burn more types of media. I have seen alot of posts where people have "heard that it does this" and can "possibly cause that". Who has done this and what were the results? Also, what brand of media works best? I bought a five pack of Imation DVD-R's and they seem to have worked well with Toast 6 for data and video, but they were a little pricey (12.99 for 5, but I realize the bigger the pack, the lower the actual per-disc cost will be).

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I used the patch on my 15" TiBook Superdrive. It improved my burn speed by 100% (1x to 2x) plus improved my cd-r/cd-rw speeds. I saw no problems in doing this... still works fine in all iApps and Toast.

3. diavolo thread starter macrumors member

Wow, more and more reading on this subject has just given me more questions than answers.

My first concern is my Applecare warranty. I paid for it, and I'm not in a hurry to make 350 bucks totally useless.
    And by the way, how would Apple know if you reflashed the firmware?

Second, the size of the machine (12", 15", and 17") seems to make a difference as well. I think someone mentioned that the bigger the PB, the more it dissipates heat and the incresed heat of a higher burn rate is why the drive is throttled to 1x.

Last, the model number of the drive that everyone is mentioning is the UJ-815. My 17" PB has a UJ-816, and in the system profiler, it says that it's a CD-RW/DVD-RW, but it won't burn a Memorex DVD-RW with Toast 6.

I am confused all to h*ll.