Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themroc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
hi, can anyone help?

I just cleaned my trackpad of my 15" PB 867 using a little bit of dish washing liquid since it was REALLY dirty and now it isn't working at all anymore.
Mouse is working fine, but I need my trackpad.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks, Themroc

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Yea, residue.
With the power off, clean the pad with an isopropyl wipe.
Let it dry and clean your hands.
Restart the computer (let the pad initialize) and see what happens.

Dude- do not use dish liquid on any electronics.

themroc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
thanks a thousand times, it worked perfect.
someone told me to clean it like that and I thought he should know since he has the same PB himself, but obviously he never tried it himself.
By the way, since I don't have any information about cleaning my PB, what can you suggest, especially for cleaning the screen?
Thanks again!:)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Most cases can be wiped down with a lightly damp cloth, or even use an isopropal pad and then a damp cloth. I don't recomend using isopropal alcholl all the time as it tends to streek and some thermal set plasticts (mostly dark ones) don't like it. It isn't that the plastics change, but some plastics have a thin coating of something (oil I would guess) to enhance the color.

Vacume the keyboard from time to time, and also vacume underneeth it. Bits of fluff wont kill your computer, but lots of space fluff may.

Clean the screen with a lint free cloth. If you must use cleaner, use something like this. Any of the wipes that offer both a wet and a dry pad and are specificly made for LCD screens. Apple, Belkin, and Targus all sell good kits and I think that they are just badged versions of the Klear Screen products linked above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.