PB vs. iBook screens question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soccerfan, Jul 6, 2004.

1. soccerfan macrumors member

Is there a difference in quality (brightness, sharpness, etc.) between the iBook and PowerBook screens?

I'm trying to decide between the 12" PB, 12" ibook, 14" ibook, and 15" PowerBook....

I know the size and resolution differences, but, for instance, is the 15" PowerBook screen just larger or is it also BETTER than the screen on the 14" iBook?

2. jbrjake macrumors member

It's a LOT better. The iBook's max rez is 1024x768. You can think of that as how many pixels it has. The PowerBook 15" weighs in at 1280x854. For example: the original Titanium PowerBook G4 basically had a wider version of the iBook's 1024x768. It just added some pixels on the sides, to make it 1152x768. So back then, the PowerBooks' screens were, as you said, "just larger." But the current 15" lcd is pretty much the same size as the screen I have on this old Titanium. What's the difference? The current screens pack in a higher definition, smaller pixels. So larger + better.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From a screen quality point of view:

Yes, obviously, there are more pixels on the PB screen, as we all know. And bigger pixels on the 14" iBook as opposed to the same-res 12" iBook.

In terms of non-resolution-based quality, though, iBook and PB screens are comparable if not identical. Both seem similarly bright and sharp, at least to the casual user comparing them side by side in an Apple Store, as I did an hour ago while my daughter played in the kid's area.

There might be differences, but they aren't obvious. All the screens looked good to me.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My opinions:

Between the 12" PB and the 12" iBook, unless you really need the PB, the iBook is a much better value.

Between the 12" iBook and the 14" iBook, I'd pick the 12" unless you need a larger screen to see the same resolution - you're paying over a hundred bucks for the same number of (albeit bigger) pixels.

Between the 12" PB and the 14" iBook (roughly similar prices), the PB is the much better system.

Between the 15" PB and anything else: if you've got the cash to spare, this is a mighty fine machine.