PB w/ 30" Cinema?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eAspenwood, Feb 20, 2005.

1. eAspenwood macrumors member

Can anyone share their experience using the new PBs with 30" inch Cinema display?

I am considering getting a fully loaded 15'er for use with a 30" Cinema. The most intensive tasks I'd probably be doing would be working on 8MB image files (from a canon 20D) in Photoshop CS. I also might watch a DVD or two on it.

I'm just curious if the PB's can really drive this monitor with grace or if there are any real world issues anyone might have run in to.

2. NCTRNL macrumors regular

The only ones with the capability are the brand new PB's so I doubt that anyone has really tried it yet. You should go to an Apple store and make them hook one up for you so you can see it.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I wish i had a 30'' display so i could help you out. :D

4. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Maybe he'll buy you one so you can help him. :D

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

First off: You lucky Bas**rd... ;) :D

Then to the question at hand: The 30" screens require the "PowerBook G4 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card and dual-link DVI functionality", according to the specs... Without this card you'll "only" be able to use the 20" and 23"...

6. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

You need the 17 incher to hook up to a 30 inch Cinema. Need the dual dvi capability.

7. eAspenwood thread starter macrumors member

The new 15'er with128MB VRAM can do it; which is what I'm getting.

They didn't have a 15'er with that 128MB card at the store to test it out with the display, but i think a quick in-store test would not really tell me much anyways.

I think I'll just have to test it out myself. ;) I've ordered it. I'll post my experience here whenever I recieve the goods, which may be a while.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Can't you also get that as a BTO upgrade on the top 15"...??

Edit: Damnation, beaten to the point... :)

9. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

10. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, the new 15" PB w/128VRAM babies can drive the 30" Display. I wanted to get one for my fully loaded 15" PB, but it's a Rev C so ugh.... You are lucky.

Please take a pic of it and let me know how it goes.

PS, that was great Smileyguy!

:cool:

11. madrobby macrumors regular

madrobby

I've a 2 1/2 yr old Titanium Powerbook and it can drive the 23" incher with ease (for Photoshop and DVD watching). So I see no problems with a shiny brand new PowerBook and the 30". IMHO the Apple DVD player software does not scale the picture well (regardless of card), maybe that's better with Tiger.