PB12 Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bigheadache, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Hi guys

I am a Pc user looking to switch over to a Powerbook 12inch(Superdrive). At the moment my local retailer is offering a free 20gb iPod with any Powerbook purchase and I am wondering whether the deal is worth doing.

I am stuck in a dilemma because:

1. the buying guide says not to buy Powerbooks and alot of rumours online are pointing to a new revision soon. If the new revisions are alot quicker and appear soon then I won't be happy if I have purchased now.

2. *** Apples are not price competitive in Australia. This is because the aussie dollar has appreciated 30% against the US in the last 9 months. The value of the deal is US$1799+US$399 = US$2198. (AUD$2800). However, the RRP price in Australia is AUD$3399 (US$2650). So basically I will still be US$450 out even with the "free" iPod.

I am worried that not only will new revisions be out soon, Apple Australia may make a move to fix the huge disparity caused by the foreign exchange situation.

Any thoughts from anyone? (especially any Aussies out there)
    Should I just forget about the foreign exchange and bite the bullet?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Go for it. Why worry about the exchange rate unless you are able to buy it somewhere in dollars? A free 20GB iPod is a great incentive and a great deal.

As for upgrades, I doubt you will see new PBs for a while. Certainly not a G5 and the rumored new Motorslowa chips are said to be 3-5 months away. The only, IMO, real sign of a possible PB upgrade is the trade in progam that runs through the end of March and that is iffy at best.

Lastly, I see no downside. You get an awesome laptop running OS X, a big iPod and you lose the PC.

3. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

If you can, ask a friend here in the states to see if they will buy one for you and check out how much the shipping difference is. The only thing to worry about is warranty service. You may be out of luck short of shipping it back to the states. Or if you know anyone going on vacation here have them buy it, pack it in some lugage and bring it back.

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Powerbook warranty is international, why is this a difficult concept for people to grasp.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My advise is to just do it and not look back. I doubt we will see any updates soon, and at most you will get a slight speed bump, & maybe backlit keyboard and Firewire 800. If you really want these then wait, but again, no one really knows for sure if it will happen or when. I got a similar deal when I purchased my 12'' PB, I got $200 off of an iPod. One of the best deals I ever made. Still love my laptop & iPod. Wouldn't trade them for the world.