PB12" with two dead pixels. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mhar4, Feb 14, 2004.

1. mhar4 macrumors member

So a seller on eBay who seems reliable (good communication, lots of +feedback) is selling a 1Ghz 12" PowerBook with Superdrive and 80GB HD for about GBP400 (USD750) less than its equivalent from the Applestore. It's a refurbished unit and he has been upfront and said that it has two dead pixels on either side of the screen. My current iBook (G3 700Mhz) has no dead pixels, so my query is do other users think the deal is worth it?

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    check if he has a serial number and pictures

jsut to be sure its legit

2 dead pixels is okay, i mean his price is pretty low

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Check it out, sure, but that seems like a VERY good deal. I have a dead pixel, about 1 inch from the left side of the screen, half way down, and I never notice it. That's a nice config there (same as mine in fact).

Make sure it is not a con (and there are no other cons to it!). He must not think at all highly of the odd dead pixel if he is selling for not far off a quarter of the unit price. Either that or there's something else wrong with it. Check it out, but if it's legit, it's a brilliant deal.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, it sounds like a great deal. As long as its legitimate. I finally got to see a dead pixel at my local Apple Store. If it is on the edge, then it will be barely noticeable.

5. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Sounds like fraud to me. I don't sell or buy anything outside of the US... too risky... too many bad experiences

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well, the original poster is from London so... I've had no problems with eBay items from ebay.co.uk (UK version). Sorry, not wanting to start a UK/US war like in the Apple Store London thread...

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you can make sure he's legit then hell yes go for it... 2 dead pixels is a little annoying but for that price... wow, absolutely it's worth it. Buy it before the seller comes to his senses! (assuming it's all on the level and all)

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You could get 2 dead pixels on a totally new Powerbook and do nothing about it. At least this way you know you're getting money-off because of them. And who knows, perhaps the old 'massage' trick will clear em up

9. mhar4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all this encouragement to spend my money! Actually, my wife thinks I need to get a new computer, but then she has a 15" 1Ghz SD PowerBook.

10. mhar4 thread starter macrumors member

Well, my 12" PowerBook arrived today, everything as stated. Oh man, this thing is simply a jewel. You can see the pixels if you go looking, but this is not a serious matter. I think I made a great decision. The seller on eBay in the UK is "The Applemacguy". He's fair dinkum.

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Great news! And I can't believe you got my exact same PowerBook for a third of the price! :mad: :p :D

12. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the seller felt he couldn't do better with 2 dead pixels. I'm glad you got a great deal, but I'm sorry if the seller felt he had no other option than to drop the price that far because of them.

13. mhar4 thread starter macrumors member

Well, not a third of, but a third off. It was a saving of about GBP400 off full retail. I think the Applemacguy is still making his money, as he should, but it's a good deal for me.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that is a freakin' awesome deal. congrats on the new computer. glad it worked out so well for you.

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Whoops, I misread your first post. Still, that's a hefty saving, considering it's the same as mine! And you got it for only two thirds the price I did. (Makes me feel a teensy bit better though ;) )

16. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Pixels are so microscopic today that two aren't much to worry about. If the number is high (15+) and they are randomly all over the place, then you might have a problem.

17. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

man you got one hell of a deal, indeed.

i am always looking for deals like that but usually i just get lucky, i think its luck really.

i got my 12" PB 867 1 year old but never used for $1000USD, and just recently a Titanium 400 with a screen defect as well, yellow line but if you flex in the back of the screen when you boot up it goes away, that one cost me $350.

but $750 for a 12" with those specs? man you must have pleased someone important in a previous life. congrats!

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You made the same mistake as me. It's actually $750 less than retail, but that's still one hell of a deal, I think you'll agree. Oh, well done on your PB and Ti. I'd like some older Macs for cheap just for the sake of it! This here is me and my family's only Mac...