PB17 - Airport weakens after installing ram?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mangophreek, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mangophreek macrumors newbie

mangophreek

Hello,

I just installed 512mb of RAM (from Crucial) into both my 17" Powerbook (1.5ghz) and my sisters 12" iBook (G3, 900). After installing the ram the airport signal I got in the same room as the router was 1. On my sister's iBook got a full signal.

Would the RAM have changed the amount of signal reaching the airport card? Is there any way to allievate this? Could be have something to do with other than the adding the RAM.

I didn't think to check the signal before I installed the RAM, but it seemed to work fine - although earlier in the week I wasn't able to get a connection in the labs at school - if it even found a signal it would have an error connecting - but iTunes would see local users. There's two networks on my campus, YorkNet for York students and SeneNet for Seneca students, and SeneNet always comes in 3-4 strength, although I can't connect to it. Yorknet has very poor connections in the labs, but is usually full strength in residence. So I do not know if that was YorkNet errors or an airport problem.

Also, my trackpad feels "sloped" or as if there is something under it lifting it up - but the battery is under the trackpad, not the RAM.

Can anyone help? I'd call Apple, but I haven't extended my AppleCare yet, so I'm past the 90 days of phone support.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    For the Airport part, go and check that the airport antennae is firmly (and I do mean firmly) attached to the card. It may be that while you had the PB upside down to get at the RAM, the card became detatched or loose.

As far as the trackpad appearing to slope, I have no clue!