Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I need some help.

I have a PBG4, 1 ghz, 1 gig of ram, and AE. I'm trying to get my docs to print wirelessly, but it isn't working. I've installed the drivers already, from hp's website, and it isn't being seen by the pb. I've looked under the Sys Pref/Printer Fax pane, and the printer will show up, but insists that there are no drivers on it.

Thr printer won't work unless I hardwire it to the USB port (as of now, it's through the hub). This is that "freebie" printer with rebate that Apple was promoting recently. I think it's kind of lame for them to advertise this product and saying that it's compatabile, when it really doesn't work. I was really looking forward to being able to print wirelessly. Any ideas??

Azeron

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I have 2 HP wireless printers (deskjet 5800 & officejet 7140) on my network so let me give you some advice.

1) make sure you set your comp to the hpsetup network.
2) click on the netowrk diagnositic botton, it will print out its ip address
3) go to the hp prionters webstup utility using your browser.
(if your computer is not wireless itself, use an ethernet cord to connect directly to the HP printer)
4) set it up to use your networks settings, don't forget to set DHCP and infrastructure mode properly
5) now its time to setup your connection to the printer. Sswitch back to your netowrks normal configuration.
6) wait until the blut light ontop of the printer is solid blue. then try and connect to the printers web server by accessing it through its ip addrss. This should be otainable through either you router or by pressing on the network diagnostic button.
7) go to your printers setup on your mac.
you have 2 choices, Randevouz, or ip printing (HP prefferably) they both have thier advantages, Randevouz is less reliable, but easier to setup, Ip printing is more reliable, but is harder to setup and maintain, espeically if you are switching many connections. I perfer randevous, as it takes less steps.
8) accept the changes, and have fun printing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.