PBG4 Fan Blues...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by firewire2001, Aug 9, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey yo..

it seems like my pbg4's fan has died.. it used to go off juss regularly when i was doing fairly intense stuff.. recently -- about a month ago -- it would start abnormallly going off at times like startup... now, it seems to not go on at all -- which i realize accounts for the frequent crashes (EVEN IN OS X) that i get...

--> i know its not a software problem because i have a FW hd with jaguar.. and another partition with 10.1.. and in my internal drive i have 10.1 again and 0s9.. all which have prioblems with the heat...

has anyone got any ideas..? my warrantyt on my mac juss expired like a week ago .. :(.. which really sucks...
    -f

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ouch! That sucks that your warranty just went out.

You should check out CryWolf, or some of the other local Apple resellers...heck even try the Apple Store in Fashion Valley. They should be able to help you out.

3. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah.. yeah.. thats right.. i think ill try to get over there to either of those places today if i have time.. thanks =]

4. iGav macrumors G3

Re: PBG4 Fan Blues...

I've had so many electrical things expire just after warranty has ended..... and it's totally annoying........

I know that last year, a gentlemen in the UK took a leading high street electrical store to court after one of his purchases died literally the day after the warranty expired, the high street shop didn't want to know because he didn't take out the extended warranty when he purchased it......

Suffice to say that this gentleman won the court case, the judge saying that he had a right to expect his goods to last over 1 year.........

Although it may be different in the U.S, but over here, your contract is with the seller of the computer, not the manufacturer.... if that's the case in the U.S I'd take it back to where you got it from and see what they say.... some are quite cool when it comes to things like this......

Personally I think all companies should have to by law have a 2 year warranty... talk about lack of faith in the quality of your products....... :rolleyes:

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Sale that G4 Ti crap now that you can, get a Pismo, insert it the G4 chip and with the rest of the money go to the Bahamas for a week end:)

6. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Here is a thought, lift your keyboard and check to see if the fan is getting power;)
    Waht I mean by this is, look at the fan's power cord and make sure it is plugged in or make sure it is not broken or burned:confused:

7. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha.. im actually considering that cause i actually share my pb64 with my dad -- i mean, i get it whenever hes not on a trip for work, or whenever he doesnt need it for a presentaion or whatever, but it kinda sucks cause i cant do anything that cool with the os, or reformatting or whatever, cause he needs it for work..

so when i have some money oin a few months from work, im considering doing that.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Did you register your TiBook with Apple??? If you didn't, then do so now, move the purchase date forward a couple of months and then wait a few days. After that, call Apple back and put in for a repair. After that, GET THE APPLECARE plan for it. I keep saying it, but a few of you just won't listen. The Applecare plan will pay for iteself with just one repair. ESPECIALLY with the laptops... :rolleyes:

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You really need to work on your English there Bubba... :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D

Get the fan repaired/replaced and run it 24/7 for the next 3 months... IF it is going to fail, it will before then, and you will get another repair for FREE. Apple has a 90 day coverage on all out of warranty repairs, for ANYTHING that happens during those 90 days. Even if it has nothing to do with the repair it went in for.

10. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so how do i get a repair :confused: -- i called apple and they said they couldnt help me at all cause my warranty was out..

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Call the tech support part, and tell them that the fan is no longer working properly... Since it is out of warranty, and you didn't pay the $$ for the AppleCare, it will be a pay repair.

I am a bit surprised that the person at Apple told you that they couldn't help you with it... If they give you the same line on the second call, ask to speak with their superior, or a second level tech.

12. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aight.. thanks a LOT.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Absolutely. I recently took my dad's iMac in for service under CompUSA's TAP plan. The charges would have been $319 for the replacement of a modem, the CMOS battery, and the labour. Unless you know enough to do the work yourself, and with laptop computers, it's that much harder, buy a service plan.

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How much did [in]compusa shaft you for on that plan???

With the AppleCare plan, you are not locked into going to one specific chain for the repairs. AppleCare also provides for ON SITE service (provided you are within xx miles of an AASP).

In the case of Apple laptops, with AppleCare you get priority service. Which, typically, equates to a much faster turnaround time (less then 1 day at Apple before getting shipped back to you, overnight). You also get free phone support from Apple for the entire term of the AppleCare plan (three years from date of purchase/register).

15. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah... Honestly I've been really busy and haven't had time to work with my PB...

Nonetheless I'm starting to think it may not be heat related - the crashes i mean... For instance, if i turn it on it and then put it on sleep mode (After FULLY starting up) and if i leave it in sleep mode for like 2-3 hours it will crash within minutes of turning it back on, and when doing very simple activities (like throwing stuff away, re-arranging desktop icons)...

Im starting to think it may have to do with the internal hard drive -- I know its not a software related problem because after shutting the computer down after a crash and booting into Jaguar (On A FW Drive) or Mac OS 9 (On A Seperate Partition) it will undboubtedly crash within minutes.

The HD problem may be a little off target since the crashes will occur in Jaguar, but the weird thing about Jaguar is that it will hang for a minute or two (ONLY after these crashes) at "Waiting for Local Drives" (I assume this means mounting them or something) - or a message similar - and then will boot up, and crash.

I'm going to bring it into a local shop, but I'm probably going to end up buying the new warranty, my only problem is convincing my dad - I'm only 14.. I barely have the cash, and my dad probably doesnt want me spending it on this... He probably could get it with money from his office, but hes very conservative (I have beenable to solve our computer problems like 95% of the time...). I may try showing him what you guys have said about the warranty, and I'll see what he says...

Thanks for all your help =].

f

16. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey yo...

Not that any of you guys really care.. but i just got my pbg4 back today..

there were several problems...

basically they replaced the logic board, upper, lower, and "clutch" panels on the thing, too...

the fan in addition to several ports, and some ide connections were malfunctioning...

so basically there were heat problems that caused about half of the crashes -- and the fan wasnt borken.. the logic board was...

thanks for all your feedback.. :)

btw: if ya got a pbg4 GET APPLECARE. it woulda cost me like 400 bucks without it causa the panels and everything.. its already saved me like 50 bucks... a week before my warranty went out (the free one) my keuyboard broke.. i woulda had to pay like 100 bucks for that, had it happened and i hadnt gottten a new warranty..

(they gave us applecare even though we were like 2 weeks past when we shoulda been able to renew it.. :D)

[edit] (they gave us applecare even though we were like 2 weeks past when we shoulda NOT been able to renew it.. :D)

-f

17. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

good to hear that your TiBook is up and running again. and lucky you got AppleCare.;) :D

18. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha.. yeah.. we really are pretty lucky...

apparently they used to be able to issue applecare even like 6 months after, if you would take it to your local repair shop and have it checked and have it proven to be in perfect working condition.. but apple got rid he policy becaus e there was tyoo much fraud..

apparently they are supposed to be really strict.. but they didnt ask us the condition when calling, and they really just gave it to us..

lucky me :D

19. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I know I would love to get AppleCare if it weren't so expensive. If Macs are so high in quality as everyone says they are, why is the standard warranty only one year? The machines are expensive enough already, but no, Apple wants you to pay hundreds extra for a decent warranty. And why is there no in-between option? Instead of paying $300 or whatever for a 3-year warranty, why can't I pay $150 for a limited 2-year warranty?

20. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well.. if you are planning on using it for three years, i can see it as a bargain based on the problems ive had within a year...

the three year thing is how apple can afford to keep up applecare..

for instance, certain machines dont have as many problems as others, though this is unpredicatble, it will always happen...

one guy might buy a three year warranty on his powermac and never have a signle problem for years.. while im haveing problems in less than a year..

if apple made shorter warranties, they probably couldnt make a profit.. its just the way they work.. im chure if everyone bought 3 year warranties, they would get rid of this policy, but only a relatively small number of ppl purchase applecare with their mac..

-f