PBG4500 PShop Results

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Mac: Powerbook G4500 - 1gb RAM

Document - 10" x 10" - 72dpi - White Background - RGB

Photoshop 6 (Classic Mode) - 1m 20s
    Photoshop 7 (Build43) (Carbon) - 2m 14s

Take a look at the attachment to see what the action was.

For some reason PShop 7 to me still seems faster.

Post your tests here along with your spec, I will post data on my 667 and dual 800 at some point.

Attached Files:

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's wild since everyone has been exclaiming how much faster it is!

I haven't really gotten to it, but I may have to spend a few mins doing something similar to see what results I can get from my PowerBook...

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

it surprised me that its was slower, it seems so fast!

4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

hmmmm

Strange...

have to try that myself. PS 7 also seems faster to me. Can you mail me the script? (send me a PM), and I will try it with b62 and PS 6.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've tried several times to grab PS 7 off of Hotline/Limewire but I never make it through the whole download. Anybody know of dependable servers to try?

I'd really like to check it out before I shell out the $.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

g4 dual 500
    OS 9.1
    gig ram

your actions:

build51 time: 42 sec
    PS version 6.0.1 time: 15 sec

BTW....using CMYK colors in an RGB doc? um....ok.... :\

&note: going to order the upgrade. I indeed pay for PS :D

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

BTW....using CMYK colors in an RGB doc? um....ok.... :\

whos doing that?

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

please tell us when you succesfully retrieve it.

10. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

There reason I use CMYK colors in any document whether it be RGB or CMYK is because I know the CMYK system better and can normally work out the exact colour in my head from the 4 numbers.

Also, its more processor hungry to do CMYK in an RGB document than using RGB in CMYK ones.

Ensign

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

to all:

I'd be a little weary of discussing warez & hacks here....

arn's already warned us once! ;)

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Warez and hacks

I was referring to the BETA version. I see no problem for downloading a beta to test out. Adobe is not selling the beta, so therefore it is not theft.
    Besides, I'm taking a chance even installing it; it might take down my hard drive ;) .

Sorry if I gave anyone the impression I was condoning software theft...

13. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Umm... why not wait till it's available and download a demo? It's not going to get you the real thing any faster by stealing it...

14. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

both of those build you guys tried are pretty old. each sucessive build has been much faster. it was my understanding that this is the main thing that adobe has been working on.

as far as the legality(not morality) of downloading these betas if you are not authorized to do so... well it is illegal. these are copyrighted products that adobe does not choose to have freely distributed.

if adobe wante dthese things freely distributed they would have released a public beta.

have i downloaded every ps7 beta i could get my hands on? yes, but i dont pretend im not breaking the law. i feel ok about it because i think im not doing anything wrong. but in this case right and wrong and legal and illegal do not coincide (in my mind).

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry I'm just impatient and don't want to wait for something that's not guaranteed to ever happen. Besides, as a graphics semi-pro, getting up to speed on new versions is critical. If I can get an edge by learning the new features sooner, I'll be that much more able to take advantage of it when I BUY IT.

Lighten up...

16. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Software Piracy

it doesn't matter if you download an "illegal" copy of the software... all adobe software comes with documentation. And on this documentation, you will find something called a "Serial Number", sometimes referred to as a "CD Key". This info cannot be duped, nor is it legal to share the "Serial Number" or "CD Key". So, this discussion is really quite moot.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Software Piracy

The point is moot because the software is not for sale. It is BETA, not "illegal".
    Is it illegal to take a free copy of a pamphlet or newsletter? Is it illegal to download open-source software? Something that is free cannot be illegally distributed, because ownership doesn't apply to it. Period.

Please enlighten me as to how I'm wrong.

18. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Beta

This may be a dumb question, but how did you get the results for the Pshop testing? Did you code your own test? Can you download apps to test phsop? The bottom line is I want to test my comp and see how it ranks. even better, I am shopping for a laptop and if i could take an app into compusa i could compare speeds for the ibook and pbook in different configurations.

On the illegal software tip... what about the iPod bandits? The dude who brought his iPod in for a little software take-out. Based on that evidence alone I would think it would be very difficult to convict the guy. I can think of legal reasons I would be transferring large files from a demo computer to my personal iPod. That is the funny thing about electronic intellectual property. It is all just ones and zeros until you USE it in an illegal fashion. Take Carracho for example. It is totally legit for me to store a copy of an app i own on carracho if i choose. And if a legal owner loses her original, she is entitled to download a backup copy. Now, just because some (or even most) people are using it for illegal purposes, you cant shut it down. It has legal uses. But anyway, I will get off my soap box. I just think it is hillarious that some guy thought of that. I can just picture the cnet guy (or whoever wrote the article) peering over dude's shoulder in disgust. And telling an imcompetentUSA employee? That story sounds fishy.

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I agree, the iPod story brings up a good point...that CompUSA employees are inept!

If this actually happened, it constitutes a crime because this person took COMMERCIAL software from someone (CompUSA) to use as his own. Office v.X is a $500 package that the store had to buy to install on their machines.

Pretty cut and dried...

20. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

You know and I know why dude copied Office X, right. But is it illegal to copy the a large folder to my iPod to test the transfer speeds? What if I delete it before leaving the store? Or.... here is a better one..... what if I get on a demo comp and create a new folder called "TEST". And then I copy the mS office into the new folder? is that cut and dry? My point is.....Is copying the files illegal? Or is it the use of the copied files that makes it illegal?

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Like I said, it's the USE of an illegal program that is against the law. But the question originally posed was: is FREE BETA software illegal?

22. bonehead macrumors regular

legality

I believe that the distribution and copying, i.e. getting the software without paying for it, are also illegal. It doesn't matter if you use it or not.

23. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

What a bonehead comment! I can't believe how inane this whole thread has become....

J/K Bonehead, welcome.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: legality

So how about distribution/copying of FREE software?

25. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

arn please educate these poor people! i dont have the patience...

the beta is only free because you pirated (i hate using that word, look what you made me do!). the beta isnt "free." just beacuase adobe doesnt sell it doesnt mean its "free." beta doesnt mean "free." it means its a build that is built before the final build is made. adobe is not giving these betas away.

look as much as we would all like to justify downloading software that wasnt intedned to be distributed freely, saying it isnt illegal isnt the right way to go about it. attack it on a moral and rational standp point, but the law is pretty cut and dry. it is illegal. if you want to discuss if that is right or not then start another thread (or jump into the morpheus for mac thread because its got 6 or 7 pages full of that debate).

but getting back to topic. has anyone tried these test with 7b in os9? it has always seemed much faster to me in os9 (as great as it is in osx).