Pbk DVI OS problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Firestormf, May 4, 2002.

1. Firestormf macrumors newbie

Just got my 667 Pbk DVI delivered this morning.

Popped open the box, turned it on, and was wowed by how much better this was than my old iBook. One curious thing though, I noticed it came with OS 10.1.3. Hmm.. strange, but fixable. After an hour of customizing my settings, I got around to loading up the software update cp, and downloaded the 10.1.4.. reboot.. kernal panic. uh oh. Reboot again.. kernal panic. Grr.. Called Apple support and they were pretty perplexed.. they said these machines shipped with 10.1.4.

I ordered the machine from Macmall.com. I've had some issues with them since they seem to like to add things on my order that I never told them to. But I got a free airport card with the machine so I know they had to open up the box.. my only thought is they reloaded an older OS for some reason then shipped it out.

So here I am doing a system restore on my 2 hour old computer.. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No similar experiance but...that is very bad :mad:
    I would speak with the reseller and see what they have to say, all sounds a bit strange if u ask me.

3. Firestormf thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed.. it is very strange. I reloaded the system and it did indeed come up with 10.1.4.
    After taking care of that and fighting with my new airport for a couple hours, everything seems to be working though.

I need to call MacMall on Monday to cancel the extended service contract I never ordered, so I'm going to ask them then how I ended up with an older OS.

BTW - These Pbks run hot! Ouch! :eek: