pbook 4200rpm? is this fast enough...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jvaska, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

sorry i'm starting a new thread about this...i would have posted in a previous thread i had started, but this is a wholly new topic...

i haven't owned a laptop in years and i'm looking to purchase one...but i'm noticing the speed of these hard drives...4200/5400...???

are people really doing video work on these things? or, are they connecting a server when they are working?

how significant are these lower speeds compared to a 7200rpm hard drive in a tower? or, is this really like comparing apples and oranges?

i don't really care about battery time at all...

additionally...how difficult is it to share files between osx and os9.2.2? i have a machine that i do not want to upgrade where i'll be storing plenty of files...i'd like to use it as a file server...

thanks...v

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I do a lot of video work on my PB with a the 4200rpm drive and I have no problem. Can't tell much difference between it and the 7200 on my PowerMac. Regardless, it doesn't significantly slow me down or degrade the quality of my work. Don't know about the file sharing...all my computers have Jaguar on them. I made the switch way back when and haven't looked back.

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Sharing is easy

Sharing between 9.2 and 10.2 is easy as pie. I was actually surprised how easy it was. If you don't know how to do it just look up how to, on mine I just plugged both computers into the router, set one to share over tcp/ip, then typed its ip address into my computer... Cake

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The only practical limits are things like track counts in the audio apps, and multiple video streams/real time FX in video, but as yoda13 says, video editing is fine.

The real bottleneck is buss and processor speed.

5. PaisanoMan macrumors member

If you want to do something disk-intensive, use an external FireWire drive. You can't take it everywhere with you, but it is MUCH faster than any internal PowerBook drive, and easily expandable to large sizes.

Otherwise, the disk speeds of portable drives are adequate, especially considering their size.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't know about the 4200 RPM HD, but this 5400 RPM HD is really fast and I love it. It's a lot faster than any desktop 7200 RPM HD I used in the past, so I am quite happy with it. The big thing to realize is that just by the nature of using a laptop, you have to realize it will not be the same speed than a desktop in just about any sense simply because you don't need to worry about heat or size when fitting the biggest and baddest HD, graphics card, RAM, CPU(s), etc. compared to a laptop.

7. advres Guest

advres

if you are doing video editing you should own a firewire drive anyway. you should never save media files you are working with to a system drive. if you continue you will get dropped frames and some serious failures if you are doing any RT effect work