PBs, heat, batterys, and the like.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Vash, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Vash macrumors newbie

Vash

Hey guys.
    I've been happily enjoying my new PB but just had a few questions (just to be on the safe side). This also might help some aspiriing powerbook owners as to what they can expect hardware-wise.

1) The battery. It gets hot. Very hot. I know that it's normal for it to heat up a bit, but being summer and all, I have to go to measures of putting a pillow on my lap. Normal?

2) Is it safe (or recommended) to leave the lid up if you leave the house, or is it preferred to close the lid and put your hard drive to sleep. This is only for the purposes of download continuation and for the sake of keeping an away message up. Any hacks for being able to close the lid and keeping it awake without discontinuing your connection?

3) Do you regular mac users reboot your system often? Being able to put it to sleep and charge leaves me no real need to reboot (except from new software, etc). Just wondering if its recommeded/normal to keep it running this long. <--I might just be used to good ol Windows ME/XP.

Thanks for the help again!
    `Vash

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Yes

perfectly fine to leave the PB on and busy 24/7. Of course when being carried around, sleep is almost mandatory. I belive there is an Apple-supported way to keep the PM on with the lid is closed while the PB is hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse; not really relevant for your situation.

1-2 weeks is usually what I keep my main Macs running for. A combination of software updates and change-of-settings/new programs keep this number this low, never crashes or instablility. My folding macs are on for months at a time. Just make sure to run the maintance tasks if the comp is sleeping at night.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

How else would your PowerBook keep you warm in the winter?

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I like that answer. I'm waiting for it to get cold so I can use my PowerBook in my lap.

but I would NOT put it on a pillow!! It'll only absorb the heat and make itget hotter and hotter and really screw something up. EEP!

Have fun with your PowerBook!!

5. Vash thread starter macrumors newbie

Vash

Yikes, good point. I'll switch to something a bit more conventional. :D

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

1) In Summer my PowerBook G4 1.67 was damn hot! In the end I ended up deciding it might be safer to use my notebook while not naked. J/K I just ended up leaving my notebook on the sleeve that came in my notebook bag. It's winter here now and my notebook is running very cool.

2) Not applicable to me

3) I only reboot the machine when an update tells me I need too. The rest of the time I just sleep it, way too easy! This is the same with my Power Mac G5, and my GFs iMac G5.

7. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Compusa has the laptop cooler. It is a pad that has 3 fans in it that is powered by the usb port on your laptop. I got one for my Aluminum 1.67 Powerbook because that sucker got HOT, unlike my Tibook which was quite cool. The pad works great and keeps the powerbook temp very low.

8. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I will second katie ta achoo's comment about no pillow. If you are going to be using it in your lap, try to put it on something that might allow some air flow, even if only slightly. If you don't have any semi-preforated object, then just get something sturdy (say a book) so the PB will have at least some room to stand and have slight bottom radiance.

The only time I ever reboot is for software updates or putting it into target disk mode. Remember also to repair disk permissions following major software updates (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > (select your OS X partition) Repair Disk Permissions).

9. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I use the iLap http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=130291&highlight=iLap its very comfortable but provides cooling for the powerbook.

10. efoto macrumors 68030

Just headed over to that thread, linked to a US store and ordered one, thanks a lot for the review and photos, made the decision quite easy and nearly enjoyable considering I had to spend 50 dollars :rolleyes:

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um....the battery doesn't get THAT hot. The Powerbook may get hot (not just a tiny bit warm.....but HOT!), but if the battery is getting hot, it may not be normal. :confused:

12. maclin macrumors newbie

It seems that Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide from October 2004 through May 2005 for use with some notebook computers. The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510.

https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html?lang=en

Good Luck!
    Maclin

13. efoto macrumors 68030

Discussed in depth here back when the topic was current running. If the battery is getting VERY hot, install something like Temperature Monitor and check the rough temp on it to see what you get. My battery is running 100.4ºF in a non-conditioned room on a rather hot day, to give some reference. When typing and resting my palm over the side where the battery is, it feels no hotter than the 114.6ºF processor side.

14. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I've got a powerbook 15" 1.5GHz.

My question is this: When just sitting at a desk with the PB plugged in is it better to have the battery out? Once it gets charged and I've got it plugged in should I just take it out? Or does it not matter?

15. efoto macrumors 68030

What would be the point in taking out the battery? You plan to reduce heat in doing so? however you will also unbalance your PB when it is on a level surface as one rubber foot is on the battery, as well as some below-case thickness which will make the entire thing wobble.

If it is just to reduce battery heat, I would concentrate on getting it up off the surface and promoting airflow, not removing a battery. If you are concerned about over-charging, don't be. The Li-i batteries have a built-in sensor and de/recharge as needed so they cannot be overloaded. That is the reason your battery % fluctuates between 96 and 100 when plugged in and fully charged. If you had other concerns please share, but otherwise I wouldnt' worry about it.

16. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I think I just heard somewhere that it was a good idea because it keeps the battery more fresh. Meaning it does let it drain and recharge repeatedly thus wearing it out faster. Also, there is no foot on the battery, it has a little grooze to allow the foot to be on the computer.