PC AGP Card in G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MrCommunistGen, Aug 22, 2004.

1. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

I recently inherited a G4 Tower from a family friend, though I haven't actually received it yet. Therefore, I don't know which generation it belongs to, but I'm assuming it has a slow graphics card. I have access to a couple PC AGP cards and would like to convert one of the cards into a Mac card. The cards I have available are a GeForce MX 420 and a Radeon 7200. My first question is "Which card is faster?". My second is "Which conversion would be easier?"

Any input would be much appreciated. :D

-MCG

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Why don't you use google to find some benchmarks between the two trash lvl cards?

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Go to the website cubeowner.com and they have a list of Video Cards that can be flashed with Mac ROMS, You could pick up a pretty cheap PC 8500 and flash it, the guys on cubeowner have had good luck with some cards.

4. the Natetrix macrumors member

what does it mean to Flash ROM a video card? What is the proceedure for converting a PC card to a mac card?

5. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Simply put, flashing the ROM is upgrading the firmware. Many people have done it with DVD-RW drives to gain new speed and new features/better media support, or with motherboards to correct compatibility problems or increase performance, etc. It's also done with graphics cards and can often improve performance there as well. There's usually a small program you run where you point to the ROM file you've downloaded and the program flashes the card's firmware and tells you to reboot to see the changes.

However in this context, you'd be flashing the ROM (upgrading the firmware) to make the card Mac-aware. There may or may not be other advantages, it's hard to say without trying it.

6. MrCommunistGen thread starter macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Still looking...

I've been looking for sites that specifically address either a Radeon 7200 or GeForce MX 420, but all I seem to find are sites referring to Geforce2's and the Radeon 7000. Will either of these work with the cards I actually have? If so I'll just go off of one of those sites. If not, does anyone know where I can find a site for the cards I have? Also, any recommendations as to which site's instructions should be easiest to follow?

Thanks

-MCG

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Radeon 7200, was only called Radeon, or Radeon Mac edition.
    Geforce mx 420 is a no go.. can't be done

-tb