Pc and Mac Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Kwyjibo, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Hopefully someone here can answer this, I just got my ibook with x.2.2 and I have a PC desktop. I've linked these two machines and I'm having problems getting them to see each other. I'm using a 10/100 Crossover Ethernet and the PC recognizes the net). In Xp I right click the file and click share this folder, In the MAc I click go/connect to server/ xp ip and I can mount the shared drive on my desktop. This is fine for xp to mac but I don't know how to make the pc see the mac or print to my printer hooked to the xp machine via usb?

Can any other mac users help me with this? Why can't my PC see the Mac? How do I make the mac see the printer? Is there an online guide, or link to look through for help? Can anyone here give me a way to share the folders with a PC and to use the printer. any help is appreciated.

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

as far as sharing files to the pc, just click on windows file sharing in the 'Sharing' pref in System Preferences.

sharing the printer can be somewhat more difficult but not impossible. www.macosxhints.com has recently had a couple of really good ways to do it, i suggest u check it out.

congrats on your iBook. :)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just to expand a bit on what sparkleytone said; to enable windows file sharing just tick it off in System Preferences > Sharing, this will start the Samba service which will share out your entire home folder over a windows network; this means on your PC to access the Mac drive you just go Start > Run and enter \\macipaddress\ and hit return, it will then ask you to authenticate with your Mac username and password.

4. daytona63 macrumors member

How to:

1. Check the box entitled "Enable Login from Windows" after hitting the "Edit User" button in the Accounts window in System Preferences.
    2. Also, in Sharing turn on Windows File Sharing.
    3. I *think* that the user on your Windows machine must have the same login name as the account you wish to access on your Mac, but I'm not entirely certain about that.
    4. Go to your Network Neighborhood, and voila, the Mac will be in a workgroup named "Workgroup" (which you can change via "Netinfo Manager...).
    5. Oh yeah, because you are networking the two with a crossover cable, make sure that each computer has its own assigned IP address, like 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. It sounds like that is already set up though, seeing as your Mac can already see the PC.

That's it! It works for me just great.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if you want to change the workgroup you are in, use the Directory Access utility and change the SMB settings.