PC based job- turn it down?

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Jan 29, 2005.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    So- I applied to a design job that said it was "PC based" in the ad. I kinda was worried at that point, but I really hate my boss (yes, hate, that very strong word) and I want to get out.

So- the first round of the interviews is to design a few things. I am already a bit worried about PC making it into the job ad, and then it happens.

Quark (with I also dislike,) tells me it is converting document form a PC format. I think I am going to repectfully step out of the running. I don't think I can bring myself to using QUark on a PC for a living.

Am I crazy? (remember, this job is by no means mine yet anyway... yet)

-Mac user since the LC. Apple user since the IIe. Never owned a PC.
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    In one of my college courses in Electronic Imaging, one section was on using Quark on the campus PCs. I must say that it was the most painful and frustrating computer experience in my entire life. Anyone that would willingly subject themselves to that daily must be masochistic.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Respectully, yeah you are crazy.

Working in an environment you hate (the boss, not the computer) is corrosive to the soul. If you have a good opportunity to improve your life, don't let the OS (or the colour scheme of the office) eliminate your options.

Ask yourself, OS aside, whether this is a good situation to try for - does it get you closer to your life goals?

As far as the OS issues go, the major graphic software (Quark, Illustrator, PS, InDesign, Acrobat, Dreamweaver) functions near-identically on both platforms. Yeah, you will have to adjust in the first week to the right mouse button and the different location of the Command/Control/Apple/Alt/Option keys. But you are not being asked to support these machines, right, just to do the work you are trained for? Computers are tools, not religions.

It's a reality that cross-platform experience will improve your resume.

However, if one is invested in maintaining a "I'm a Mac guy and everything Windows sucks" position, then stay put and wait for an opening in a job that will accommodate large chips on shoulders - someone with a closed OS mind will be unhappy and unpopular in the Windows shop.
  4. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    i am not as crazy as some mac zealots. but, i am a mac guy. pcs frustrate me to no end when i have to use them.

also- i have a feeling that i would be asked to keep them running. this is a small company, one which most likely does not have an IT department.

but- it is also not like i have been searching for a new job for weeks. this is the first new job i have applied to. i am sure there are more out there that fit my picky needs. i also wouldn't mind taking advantage of my 50%+ merchandise discounts for a bit longer, until i get the things that i lack. (trying not to make it obvious where i work...)

we'll see what i end up doing. the test work is due monday. i have a day to think it over.

more views are nice though....
  5. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2004
    Apex, N.C
    Take the OS and design programs out of the equasion. If you must include them, put them in the "quality of office environment" catagory, which includes things like who you will be working with and/or for. Is it a good move for you, or are you simply escaping your current boss.

If I were you, I'd make sure I wasn't trading a known, bad situation for any other situation that presents itself; if could be an unknown, bad situtation.

If your only reservation with an otherwise great job is the OS, you're nuts for not jumping at the chance. If you've a lot of reservations, and the OS is icing on the cake; don't let your discontent with your current job make your life decisions for you.

6. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Yeah, I've seen that "you-use-computers,therefore-you're-IT" mentality before. At my last job, the head office was in a different city than the technology departments. They had very little tech-savvy people there. And they always assumed that since we worked with computers all the time, we were the IT deparment. They would get very frustrated when they would call any random developer and not get help on setting up the printer down the hall or why their Kelly Clarkson CD wouldn't play in their laptop.

Anyways, on to the advice. You are not happy at your current job. You do not want to move to a new job where you are equally, if not more, unhappy. So, you should think about how having to use Quark on a PC daily is going to influence your continued attitude. Also, you might want to probe a little more into their "PC-based" statement. Perhaps they are willing to consider adding a Mac to the mix. And also ask yourself if becoming the IT deparment for them will be okay with you or just frustrate you too much to be worth the hassle.
  7. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    http://www.everythingnaperville.com/ is the company that i am talking about.

things i like:
    •close to me (i currently commute an hour each way) this means i could get a dog!
    •my current boss does not work there
    •it is a magazine
    •my current boss does not work there
    •to sound really cocky- my immediate superior will prolly know more than me, as opposed to my current situation where i teach the "art director" on a daily basis. what kind of art director doesn't know what a layer is in photoshop? or how to make a clipping path... i'll stop.
    •office with a window. my current job has an office, but no window.

things i dislike:
    •COULD be a pay cut, not sure
    ••pc based workflow
    •not sure about their design tastes. they don't seem too much like my tastes, but neither is my current job.
    •i get to use indesign sometimes at my current job. (makes me happy)
    •i am paid hourly at my current job, and get a ton of extra cash b/c of overtime. this job is unknown, but most jobs like this are salaried.
    • no merchandise discounts.
  8. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004

I'm in a similar situtation right now; trying to find a job in graphic design industry. Even though I prefer to use a Mac for design, there are companies out there that use PCs and Quark. Not the best combo, IMO, but hey if it pays the bills and what not, that's fine with me. Course I rather have a Mac with InDesign :D but sometimes you can't get that.

That's why it's a good idea to be cross-platform and have skills in a lot of apps. Like Quark and InDesign.
  9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I would recommend getting more information before making a decision. If they call you for an Interview, you can pretty much ask the questions you asked us, or they will tell you. Just about every interview I've been on, they have answered or told me upfront without asking, answers to salary/benfit questions. It's to their advantage to do so, because if they don't tell you until the 2nd or 3rd interview, they have wasted both yours and their time, if it's not to your liking. Not only that, but if they make you the "PC guy" you will be more valuable to the company, and you can point that out come raise time. Not only that, but if you hate your boss, then you really have nothing to lose by leaving. It's hard to go down from there.

My opinion, do what you want with it. :)
  10. emmawu macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Wauwatosa, WI
    I've worked at a PC based job where I brought in my iBook with the necessary applications and just transferred them to the wintel beast. I don't know how your new boss would feel about it. I told them I was the most familiar with my iBook and it was more stable. So far, no hassle.
  11. sirron macrumors newbie

Oct 4, 2001
    Valley Center
    take the job

Take the job if it pays enough, then show them how productive the mac is and how much it will save them. If you're good you can convince them to switch eventually. ;)
  12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Thats what I'm thinking. If its a magazine then they probably wont mind what computer your running so long as the work gets done. Unless they have a specific windows app that you have to use.

Even if they have an app that only works on windows, I bet the bulk of your work can be done on a mac.
  13. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    I doubt I could convince them to switch to mac.

It might be possible to do everything on a mac and then give it to them, who knows.

But- I am going to do the preliminary design work and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    If they have a PC-based Quark workflow then you'll have problems with the Mac issue, just on font grounds & licensing alone. I guess they might also be running a PDF based workflow since there aren't too many pre-press places heavily geared up for PC work...

My Italian friend has a saying from Naples about jobs:
    Go in thin and make yourself fat...

i.e. Go in with a low profile and once you've established yourself, see how you can expand your opportunities & profile within the company.

There's more to consider about any job than just the equipment.
    Pay, colleagues, hours, working environment, promotion opportunities, etc... where it could lead to the next job after that...