PC Card slot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Sep 23, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So I've got this PC Card slot on my new 15" PB. Just curious as to what peripherals are out there for it. I know there are wireless cards, my sister's new Dell laptop uses a PC Card for wireless (youd think they'd have it built in by now :rolleyes: ) but obviously a wireless card is useless with Airport.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

They range from a slow video card for a 3rd monitor to memory card readers. But really, you shouldn't just look for peripherals just for the sake of using the slot imho

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks. Yeah, I wasnt looking for anything to actually use, I probably cant afford it, plus I personally find the cars to be a pain in the ass with the way they stick out and all. I was just curious to know what was out there as I've never seen them used for anything besides wifi

4. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Does anyone make a TV Tuner PC Card that is compatible with OS X? I've looked around, but can't seem to find anything that will work in New Zealand :rolleyes:

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can use KisMAC and one of those PCMCIA cards to, uh, 'find' WEP keys. :)

But the true usefulness will be in 3 years when there is some new thingy that your PowerBook doesn't have built in and you want to use it. But for right now, relish in Apple's all-in-one coolness.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

7. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

According to Elgato:

New Zealand has chosen the DVB family of standards for digital TV. At present digital satellite TV is the main area of development and New Zealand television broadcasters have yet to determine when digital terrestrial services will be introduced.

Which I guess is a no. I think that our standard TV stations are VHF?

We're a little behind the times :eek:

I could just get an EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0, but I hate having devices hanging off my computer :mad: :rolleyes:

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I was over in Wellington earlier in the year now I know why nearly everyone had satellite dishes! :)

I guess it comes down to do you have satelitte digital? If so get one of the DVB-S products from El Gato (the 310 iirc), if not get the firewire EyeTV 200 Analog.

Well actually it comes down to do you want to have an El Gato firewire device hanging off your PowerBook? They are powered over firewire if that helps. I can't recommend El Gatos EyeTV range highly enough, the picture quality on my 400 (DVB-T SD/HD) is fantastic, the only thing better is the El Gato software!