PC card upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by combatcolin, Mar 19, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hi, been thinking of upgrading my PC, going to wait for another year till i buy another Mac as finances are tight after buying 2nd house.

Anyway, i have 64MB Radeon (2Ghz AMD XP 640MB RAM) and was thinking of the cheapest decent upgrade i could find, and am intrested in this:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=866209&p=303&g=388&pa=genbrw

£40 from www.play.com which is a ATI 256MB 9250 and a DX 9 card, play really only WOW now and would like a speed boost.
    Will sell old card to partners mum.

Would a new card affect Quick time or is QT more CPU based?

Thanks all

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

In general, for 3D apps like gaming & modeling, going from a 64mb card to one with 256mb will allow you to really crank up the resolution, frame rates and other visual options. Just be sure to use the latest drivers ( from ATI website, not off the CD) and a freshly defragged HD

Upping your ram would also help....

As for QT, a better card will help there too, especially when watching full screen movies and/or encoding your own videos.......

3. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Ah, turns out the 256MB 9250 is only a 8.1 card, but the 256MB 9550 is a a full DX 9 and only £5 more.

Think i'll go with that.