PC CD problem with a G5...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ijimk, Dec 9, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Just a quick question, why is it every once in a while at work when we get CDs in from customers that were burned on a PC my G5 won't read it. I have all the latest updates on the machine and it has 10.3.6 on it. The icon for a cd won't even pop up on the desktop. When i put the same CD in a PC it reads fine. What apps are out there to help with this problem? any suggestions are welcome. :confused:

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

yeah same problem, 50% of my files come on cd, pc ones cause a few problems (especially with file permissions, but thats another story)

i think it is because they are using some cheap dodgy burning program. never had a problem with nero.

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

File permissions shouldn't be an issue...when you copy files from one Windows partition to another, they don't retain the old permissions.

The biggest problem I see is people using Roxio DirectCD, which is a packet-burning program (burns the CD "as you go," instead of burning sessions). You have to finalize the CD for it to work in non-Windows machines and Windows machines that don't have DirectCD on it. Problem is people don't do that (since once you do that, you can't write to it again), they bring their discs here, and then wonder why they don't work. :confused:

Silly Windows users :p

4. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Thanks for your help guys. I will be sure to keep this in mind in the future. :)