PC Comebacks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iJon, Apr 14, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This has always been fun for me, what do we say to the people who say to the people who say macs are dumb. what are you guys witty sayings, i need to add some more phrases to my vocablulary. mine is this "cool, what kind of mac do you have." and of course they respond they dont have one. then i say "then how do you know so much about them to tell me they suck."

iJon

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: PC Comebacks

I use the "mac is for productivity windows is..." and also I just ask them how many times there comp freeze per month, i say "divide that by 3" :D

3. acj macrumors 6502

how about

"PC's are dumbER"
    or... "My daddy can beat up your daddy"
    or...

hmm, maybe I'll have to work on this.

Your current response is about the best.

It goes both ways though. Why do people compare their updated computer that they are familiar with to an outdated one that they barely know how to use?

One problem is people get bad experiences from school or work. We have some old G3's around here in the labs that run OS9, lock up a lot and multitask like they've never heard of the term. So people think that Macs are bad because their 2.4 GHz XP PC at home doesn't lock up and is very fast.

Then the people at another school use some old Pentium IIIs with windows 95 that lock up a lot and multitask like they've never heard of the term. So they think PC's are bad because their Dual G4 with OSX at home doesn't lock up and is very fast.

Of all the current Macs and PC's I've used, they've all been fairly stable with neither platform comming out ahead. Overall OSX is just simply better so that is perhaps the best argument there is, and it seems to be getting better with updates from both sides!

4. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well windows xp was doing it for me. i was great, fast, and stable, didnt crash. until i came home and started it up and i had a blue screen. i had a legal copy of pro and i always kept it updated, and it only had some games on it, very clean system. that made me lose my respect for xp. its great until to have to reinstall.

iJon

5. acj macrumors 6502

Yeah, but....

I'm really playing the devils advocate here, but this sort of thing happens on Macs too. It is a VERY rare occurance on XP, as it is a VERY rare occurance on a Mac. I'd bet XP has this problem more often, but this is the first I've heard on it, and I troll through lots of PC forums. You gotta hand it to an OS that can run so well on the trillion combonations possible with PC hardware.

6. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Yeah, but....

not so rare, i work in pc service, we see a great deal of xp machines, and you gotta think that most people arent using all the pc combinations, just what came with their comptuer, which is the same stuff macs come with. ive heard terrible horror stories of xp, go check out the customer comments at cnet.

iJon

7. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Re: Yeah, but....

Exactly. I wince at blatant anti-Mac bigotry as much as the next Macuser, but thoughtless anti-PC ramblings does not serve our interests either. Apple should not have a dedicated consumer base slavishly devoted to its product based on some misconception of the competition. There are many things that Apple needs to learn from Microsoft and the PC platform, and we Macusers should push Steve to not only focus on building pretty machines but computers that can outperform the competition in almost every aspect. You could argue until your face is blue about how "innovative" Apple is and what a "copycat" Microsoft is, but at the end of the day, PCs are still good enough for the vast majority of users.

8. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

At work, I'm that "Mac person." I take the teasing in stride and I always tell them that my Mac's have always worked for me and there is no reason to get a PC.

I tell people at work that for difficult tasks, you just have to point and click. My favorite thing is a while back we got a wireless base station at work. People got some cards to connect to the base station and they were like "Ohh, that is amazing."

I tell them that I've been doing wireless networking since September 2000. I just get a blank stare.

9. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

I just usually ask them why they use their PC's and then explain some of the misconceptions they have about Macs. Some common ones are that only PC's have Word (which I then go out and show them they are wrong), no multitasking, no wireless (I laugh when I hear this one), no internet or email (again, I laugh), and other such things. Money and speed are harder to argue against. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm really overcharged for my computer but it's hard to express this nor do I feel that my computer is slow, but I haven't used the latest PC's in a long time, so I really have no point of reference.

Occasionally, the ask what the benefits are of Macs, and then I explain why I think they are great.

10. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I usually do pretty good job explaining the advantages of Macs and the PC user I've been talking to doesn't have much to say. But when the PC user says "So what kind of games can I play on Macs? Can I play......" then I'm pretty stumped.

11. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    HA! ...and they call OUR machines "toys" and worthless.

That's always killed me...as if the VAST AMOUNT OF CRAPPY games out there is some sort of REASON to go PC over Mac. If that's why you're spending good money, then go for it, mushrooms.

I usually say something to the effect of "I appreciate superior design, and being able to take advantage of being ahead of the curve on computer innovations such as superior graphics handling, ease of use in digital photography and movie editing, being "wireless" years ago, and things like FireWire. I'm happy to see that the PC side of the world is now starting to catch up. Thank you for your interest."

Such "discussions" come up more rarely these days, at least in my neck of the woods, thank God. I detest them.

12. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Re: Re: Yeah, but....

You're right, and in general great post, but I am that guy who can't help himself and loves, loves, loves, anti-PC ramblings. It is endless fun. There's just sooo much material.

Yes, I am part of the problem. I just can't help myself. (And yes, I use a PC more than I use a Mac, so I know what I am talking about.)

:)

13. Latino macrumors member

Well, there is a simple argument to this one. In the UK

PNY GForce 4600 128Mb --- £180
    Sony PlayStation 2 ---------- £160.30

(prices from dabs.com)

I have used PCs to play games in the past, but these days, I just see no reason to use a computer for games anymore. Consoles are cheaper and easier to deal with to play games. No compatibility problems, no driver issues, no performance problems. Put the CD in and play.

And with no games in the agenda of my computers, I have little reason to upgrade every 1 1/2 years to play more games. Not to mention the vast selection you get in consoles nowadays.

Well, I guess there's always those who are addicted to RTS games, but can't you play those in consoles? I thought you could get mice for consoles too. Sorry, not much of a gamer anymore since I left college. No time!

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

As I'm a master of ready wit and stunning repartee, I find that the punchline of this joke always works for me:

http://www.clownz.com/comedy.html

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read 'The Clown Joke')

15. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

that only works for some people though, there are so many games that arent for consoles and never will be, and too many people feel that a ps2, multitap, and the tv being parted into 4 parts is not considered a lan. consoles are so great if your games you want are for it, there is no cheaper way to get by, but if you play other games, and most games don come to console, you gotta go with a pc. its all about the games.

iJon

16. the future macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Yeah, but....

Like, what?

17. bwawn macrumors member

If someone comments that PCs are for serious work and then tells you that PCs are also better because they have more games, then you have your argument or comeback handed to you right there.

This one doesn't come up very often anymore though because I guess the arguers are evolving. Often times you'll hear people say, "Macs are for people who can't use computers, PCs are for real computer work/users who know how to USE a computer." Change the wording as you please... this was the old-school argument a couple years back, and you don't hear it as much anymore. But if you do hear it, just ask the person who says it, "Do you need instructions to use a light switch?" They should be able to get the idea from that.

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I just do a Van Damme style flying scissor-kick at the persons head. Then when he struggles to his feet, I crouch down and do a double-fisted punch to their ribs. All this is done in slow motion of course for added dramatic effect.
    :D

19. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

-----I just do a Van Damme style flying scissor-kick at
    -----the persons head. Then when he struggles to his
    -----feet, I crouch down and do a double-fisted punch
    -----to their ribs. All this is done in slow motion of course
    -----for added dramatic effect.

You should do this while wearing dark coat with wind blowing and also include near impossible backward bend as you dodge some of his attacks.

20. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Bullet Time!!!

21. friction3000 macrumors newbie

here's my radical comebacks for mac-haters:

my mac works great. PCs are fine, too.

if they want to insist, i might say something like:

i mostly use a mac because it's been the standard for music recording. but you can do the same stuff on PCs now too, if you're careful about how you configure it. pretty much either one is fine. most music people tend to use macs. anyway, i'm happy.

if they want to debate price, i sock it to them with something real clever like:

yeah, macs are a little more expensive.

and if they really, really want to talk about it, i might say:

yeah, it was more. i just spent the money to get a system that i knew worked well, because i knew so many people who were using the same one. over the life of my computer, it didn't amount to that much more. yeah, it's possible to build something for less on the PC platform that will do the basically the same thing. whichever.

are you guys getting my approach here? it's to not argue about mac vs. pc, ever, because it is stupid.

i think my approach probably convinces more people than any of the "arguments" i've seen on this thread.

---
    brent
    www.audiofriction.com

22. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

My starter offer is "Windows XP wouldn't be too bad if the Mac wasn't so much better."

The best is when they say, "I just got a Dell, and they are so much better than the Mac." My reply is, "Your comparing the performance of three-to-four year old iMacs to your brand new Dell? What kind of comparison is that?"

I then whip out the TiBook running OS X Jaguar and then the fun begins. I work at a middle school, so the student(s) whining about Macs generally dimishes when I start iTunes up and hook up my iPod. "Cool, what songs do you have?"

It's all about common sense. Don't worry about needing talking points. Just be honest!

23. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

if you are speechless and have nothing to come back with, follow this steps closely.

you must have a mac with quartz extreme to proceed, ok are you guys ready, prepare.

go download xback. go download marine desktop. register marine desktop, its worth the money.

tell xback to run marine desktop. what this does is make your background pattern the marine desktop, and BAM, now they are speechless, if they say thats stupid then to hell with them. if you cant but marine desktop or dont want to, then the simple genie effect will do.

and dont forget, always keep a two button scroll mouse with you incase they try to pull the macs dont use two button mine with scrolls line.

iJon

24. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Sometimes it gets too tiresome to explain the advantages of Mac over PC. It really would make things easier if we can just "Judo CHOP!" and walk away.

25. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Don't forget, windows may run well to start but 5-6 months later after the registry is cluttered, a dozen different spyware programs are sapping resources, and frustration with networking issues crop up... windows doesn't seem to run so fast.