PC equivalent of that 12" powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Over Achiever, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Check it out:

http://www.dynamism.com/mv1/main.shtml
    This is the Sharp Mebius MV-1, a mere 1.1" thick, featuring a DVD-R/RW burner. Includes firewire and USB 2.0, 1.2 GHz P-III-M, 60 GB HD, etc.

So it's not exactly up to specs with the powerbook, but is the smallest 12.1" PC laptop w/ an integrated DVD burner. Too bad it doesn't have the new centrino chip, now that would be quite a laptop.

The Toshiba Protege has a 12.1" screen, 0.6" thick, and has a 1.3 GHz Centrino chip...quite a machine w/o an optical drive.

Just showing y'all mac folks some options on the PC side.

And hey, www.dynamism.com is a great site for computer gadgets. :)

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Looks pretty nice, except for some problems:

-Battery life looks somewhat short.
    -Ugly compared to the PowerBook
    -Runs Windows

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Nice but... $2799??? (gulp)

And at that price you only get a Pentium III 1.0GHz w/ Wireless LAN, 30gb, 256mb, WinXP Home, DVD-R/RW.

Ouch!

Edit: Add $299 to upgrade to 512mb of RAM and $150 to get WinXP Pro. This brings your grand total up to $3248. That's the cost of our 17 incher... and you still only have a 30gb HD. The "ultimate" multimedia machine with a 30gb HD?

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

In addition, when trying to make it thinner, they made it wider and taller... thats no good! and theres the price thing too... a 12 " could outpreform it easily. and its graphics card... I SOME ON OARD THING BUY INTEL!!! the 12" has one most people have actually heard of... and it claims 48 MB Vram, and says thats shared with the main memory... its an overpriced piece of scum if you ask me...

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a graphics person cannot do better than apple's $1799 12" inch powerbook for mobile computing, size, and of course...cost

but dynamism's ultra small pc laptops are great, but expensive

6. porovaara macrumors regular

Dynamism has extrmely high prices, you can get the mv1 for 1500 street in the USA. When you buy from them you are buying the Japanese street version with whatever mods needed to get US stuff on it.

7. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Yeah, I forgot to mention that dynamism prices are a bit expensive...you can get it for around $1500 here as someone has mentioned.

I'm just showing a 1" thick PC laptop w/ a DVD burner, thats all. :) I never said it was better. ;)

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i thought dynamism offered only stuff not available in the usa...yet

9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Looking through that site, I came across an awkward sight.

It says 6x DVD-R!! Is that some new invention the Japanese have or am I just fretting over a typo?

(find the real link here )

Attached Files:

10. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Looks pretty good
    but nothign near an 12 " powerbook
    i have one but with a 60 gigi HD thats good that only has 40 but that has dvd rw where mine onlyhas -r

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it's good to know that if you have to use a PC notebook, at least now they are starting to make some more reasonable sized ones.