PC folding question

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by JLS, Nov 1, 2004.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

Ive got a few computers at work I could install folding@home on, but I want it to be hidden, as the no-nonsense text box gets in the way, and the screensaver doesn't quit by moving the mouse (which will freak the many people that use the computers).

Any suggestions?

(Windows XP im talking about here)

Thanks

2. DrBoar macrumors member

I Installed the GUI version on XP and after booting there is a small F@H symbol appearing in the taskbar, and that is it! Now I use that instead of the CLI in XP.

No odd screensaver and no terminal with cryptical lines :D

3. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent - thats perfect. Thanks :) Consider another 5-6ghz of 24/7 computing power now working for the benifit of science!

4. Nanuq macrumors newbie

if you install the fah5 CLI [no-nonsense console version], during setup it asks you if want to run it as a service, hit 'y' for yes, and it won't show anything, and will run even at the login window. Just make sure you have permission to use the computers at work. [Had to put in the little disclaimer line :)]

Fold on!

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

[YOU SHALL HOLD NO RIGHT TO DO ANYTHING IF YOU SCREW THIS UP]
    The other thing you could do if you're going to leave town with your comp. on and have it just tasking for Folding. You can set the priority to like Above Normal, DO NOT DO RealTime, it says like Normal Above, put that on, leave for a week on a business trip, BAM you get back, you've done probably over 50 folding at home packets, if you have an AMD 2000+, now if you have 64-bit AMD, then you could do probably 80-120. AMD FX-55 is out AWESOME!!!