PC for games

Discussion in 'Games' started by caccamolle, Dec 9, 2005.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I am hoping to help out a nephew in putting together a game (primarily) machine, hence a PC obviously.

Do you know of any forum where these things are discussed. I am a Mac only dude and know absolutely nothing about pc's. I was thinking ideally there are good online vendors that would have everything I need, may be provide some guidance too. Do you know of any ?

thx !

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Last Months issue of PC Gamer had a excellent article on building a gaming PC. They show you step by step in the whole assembly. Excellent article. Holiday 2005 issue and the cover is Build your Dream Rig. 11 pages long.

4. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys, really cool.
    Geee, some readings for me. Not that I am dying to learn about this but hey, got to do what I can for my nephew !

5. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I also looked on Dell and built a good gaming rig 3.2ghz 1 gig of ram 160 gig HD 256 MB ATI 9800 with a 19 inch LCD all for like $1,000. I believe it was their XPS line , the XPS 400. I thought it was pretty good for the games i like to play.

6. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys, I cannot do this. I've looked at most of the cites mentioned and man, too, way too complicated. The learning curve is huge, well, at least considering that I have very little time .

Shoud I just by "some PC" with basic, solid (fast) features and then add more and faster memory, better GPU ? Is this possible ? I suspect this is not the better way to go about it, but may be the most practical for me.

Do you know of a place (trustworthy and fair) that I could call to get help in building a system ? perhaps this would be the best option, if at all available.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What's your budget? Are you trying to make a gaming PC for £350? (that get's 62fps in Doom3, I'll have you know) Or are you trying to make a beast of a system with an X2 4800+, Crossfire X850, 4GB RAM and a quad-500GB SATA2 RAID?

8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I actually have a gaming PC that I'm trying to sell. It's complicated, but I have to switch to a laptop. Plus with the new consoles I don't really need a gaming PC anymore.

Anyway, below you'll find a list of what you need and what my PC has. I highly recommend NewEgg for everything. Best eStore in the world, hands down.

Case A regular ATX tower will be fine.
    Powersupply You'll want 400W or more for gaming, but most good cases have one included.
    Motherboard Anything by ASUS is very dependable. You'll also have to decide at this point if you want to go Intel or AMD. I don't know much about Intel, but for AMD make sure the motherboard supports "socket 939" processors. More sockets=newer technology. Plus, get one with 16x PCI-express.
    Processor I would recommend an AMD 939 proc. The new dual-core's look very nice. AMD handles games a little better than Intel. Intel wins in video/audio editing and production.
    RAM OCZ and Crucial are great. OCZ is going to have tighter timings (faster) but Crucial is going to be more stable. PC3200 should be fine. Don't skimp on memory. It's the reason some crappy PC's crash all the time.
    Hard Drive Go Seagate. They have a 5 year warranty instead of the industry standard 1 year. SATA is faster, but I use IDE (slower) and it works fine.
    DVD-R I have a Lite-On burner. It was around $40. Burners are cheap nowadays. Read reviews on NewEgg to choose one.
    Fans a couple of these can't hurt. Try to get as many quiet ones as you can. Remember, 3 fans at low speed are quieter than one at high speed.
    Sound Card Any good motherboard will have one built in. Mine works fine, but you could get a Sound Blaster Audigy if you want better quality sound.
    Graphics Card Arguably the most important part of the gaming PC. Here it's a matter of brand preference and $$$. Nvidia's top-o-the-line card is the 7800GTX. These cards can be SLI'd. That means you can install 2 of them. Dualie gfx cards, but it's about $1000! One is plenty though. 1 7800=2 SLI 6800's. I'm running an ATI X800 Pro. It's more than enough. I play everything at 1280x1024 will all the options turned up ("Holy S***" mode in UT2004). An X800 Pro is about $220. Again, ASUS makes good stuff.

And that's about it. Throw in a monitor, keyboard, mouse and you've got yourself one smoking PC rig. Plug everything in where it goes and push the power button. It will boot to the BIOS with no OS installed. Here you can tweak stuff. ASUS boards should already be set-up. Next, put a windows install disc in the drive, reboot, and you're done.

My System:
    Black Case with automotive paint. Clear window on side with blue fan lights, and blue neon in case.
    420W power supply.
    MSI K8T Neo motherboard with VIA chipset
    AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ @ 2.0 GHz
    1 gig Crucial DDR400 (PC3200) memory
    80 gig Seagate Barracuda IDE @ 7,200 RPM
    8x DVD-/+ R/RW by LiteOn (black)
    Gigabyte ATI X800 Pro
    ATI TV Wonder Pro TV Tuner
    Windows XP Pro

If you need help putting it together, just ask. It's not that hard. When I did mine, I was like you and didn't know what I was doing. After you finish you'll wonder why anyone would ever order from Dell.

9. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

hey greatdevourer -
    not sure about budget yet, but certainly I can consider spending more than 350, not so much an essential criteria say up to $1000, beyond I would have to investigate a bit .....

kuyu -
    I will get back to you in a bit.

thank you all !

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

How much do you want to spend? What does your nephew already have? Let me know and I'll pick out some stuff for you on NewEgg.:)

11. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

I mentioned $1000.....but that was "baseless". May be you can give me a hint: what are the ranges, in the reasonable sphere ? I really don't know what that would get me in terms of price/performance ?

thx

12. ghostee macrumors 6502

Does he already have a PC that can be salvaged for parts? Using his old dvd drive, hard drive, monitor, etc, can lower the price nicely.

I wouldn't expect to build a complete machine for under $500 (see this site). $500 is already skimping on things, $1000 is much more reasonable. The more you spend now, the more time you'll have before you'll have to upgrade.

13. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

yes ghostee, good point. Generally, I actually try not to go for the cheapest thing, in fact quite the opposite when my wallet allows.

And also yes, there might be a computer from where we can get some still usable hardware. what I will do is find out and post the specifics, then may be we'll know what to keep. It will take me however a couple of days to find out. By the way, does Windows have anything equivalent to our mac's system profile ?

PS: my $1000 did not include the display.

14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I priced a good system within your budget. Included are a Rosewill case & 430W power supply, ASUS motherboard, 1 gig Crucial Ballistix memory, 3200+ AMD processor, 160 gig Seagate HDD, 16x Lite-On DVD burner, and ASUS ATI Radeon X850XT (very sweet). It's about $900 before tax and shipping, which should stay under your $1000 budget. People are running 150+ frames per second in HL2 with this card (full AA and AF too)

Windows is expensive though ($160), so if you already have a copy that can save you some dough.

15. ghostee macrumors 6502

I believe if you right click on My Computer, and select properties, you can access that kind of information.

16. ghostee macrumors 6502

If only I had enough room for another computer, I'd build soemthing very similiar to this. With a nice 24" Dell. Not sure if I'd go with the X850XT, I'd research the pros/cons of ATI vs NVidia before making my decision.

17. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Yeah, I just picked the ATI cause it's the same price as the 7800GTX. Both are good cards.