PC for KOTOR 2 and UT2004. OK?

Discussion in 'Games' started by eXan, Jul 10, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Can somebody tell me if this PC will be ok for gaming? I'm not going to play anything like Doom 3, HL2 or UT2007 in future, just today's (or yesterday's?) games like Knights of the Old Republic 2. In fact this is the only game I was planning to play. And maybe UT2004. So the specs are:

P4 2.8 GHz, 512KB cache
    512 MB PC3200 RAM (400 MHz?)
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB.

So what do you think guys?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That will be fine for 95% of the games and you could still play HL2 and Doom3 on that machine if you wanted. You would just turn things down a little thats all. It should be fine. Make sure you update your virus protection and keep it updated. Time for some UT! :D

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I played HL2 on a P4 2.4 GHz overclocked to 2.6 (800 MHz FSB), 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro and it was playable. Certain times it got choppy, but it was fine for like 95% of the game. I put a PC rig together just for HL2 and Doom 3. Doom3 had to go to 800x600 with low quality to not stutter... playable, but no bells and whistles. I'd say the CPU is fine, but you might want to go with a 9800 or higher if you have a choice. If you don't have a choice, then just enjoy what you have.

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

If you can change the graphics card for a 9800pro :)

It's a fair bit quicker, will let you run some AA/AF and by now shouldn't really cost all that much :D

I have one in my PC, although it's only got a XP1700 CPU, it'll play HL2 pretty well, and UT2k4 with 4xAA 4xAF (could be higher, been a while) at 1280x1024, very nice :cool:

Oh, and the UT ingame setting are all at their maximums, eg. the voice says... holy **** :rolleyes:

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

That should be fine for those games. My only advice would be to get another 512 down the road, and possibly the 9800 instead. But if money is a big concern, you should be fine with that setup.

I would also recommend McAfee Virus Scan On-Access(under $50), AdAware (free), and a good MB from someone like ASUS. Cheap hardware causes most lockups.

For the actual hardware, check Newegg.com. I bought everything from them. They are a pleasure to deal with, and very affordable.

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I second Newegg... they also have a great return policy. I shipped back some bad RAM and it was really easy with a quick turnaround.

Also, they FedEx stuff... usually I will get it in two days!

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Just so you know, KotOR2 really like NVIDIA cards. Last time I heard, KotOR2 and ATI was not a good combination (KotOR1 also had problems)... but it might have changed with newer driver releases.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

do yourself a favor and get a better vid card. if you're going agp (which based on the 9600, you are) get a 9800pro. it's really only slightly more than a 9600xt and it's an 8-pipe, 256-bit card. it'll perform a *lot* better. sounds good but have you considered going with an amd cpu?

9. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Thanks for the input guys.

The thing is that this is not my PC. It's my sister's. She will need it when she will go to college. So sometimes I will come to her and play some games on it.

About Newegg and FedEx: sorry guys i'm no in US, so...

This setup does not depend on me. As I said it's my sister's computer and my granparents bought her what SHE needed. I'm only sticking by to play some PC-only games at decent speed.

Actually this setup is not cheap. Its $1017 total (with 17 inch LCD which is 300$)

Is KOTOR2 THAT bad on ATi cards? I think it will still be better than 1-5 fps I get in KOTOR1 on my eMac ;)

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

:D

Seems like most issues have been fixed with the latest drivers. There's some remaining, but I don't think there's anything critical (beyond KotOR2's general bugginess).
    Ie: An ATI card will likely work fine with KotOR2.

11. OryHara macrumors regular

just a thougt...
    if you already have a mac for everyday things, like surfing the web, why not just keep it off the web all togeather? thats what i did with my pc for like 6 months, no virus/spyware/ect. to worry about.

12. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Please, read my previuos post. I said that this PC is not mine and it's not at my home. Its my sister's and she will need internet...

Today I with my grandpa brought it to their home from the shop. The config is slightly different now. It has ASUS GeForce FX5200 128 MB instead of Rad9600XT.

I played Cabela's 4x4 Off-Road Adventure 3 on it and it plays fine on everything on max (exept viewing and grass distance which are set to aprox. 1/3) and 1024x768. I tryed it at 1280x1024 at first (native resolution of 17" LCD), but it was a bit slow.