PC Forum's view of the OSX emulator

Discussion in 'Community' started by 7on, Oct 15, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Why did I bother...

...reading that whole linked thread?

'reamed' ?
    'not as good as windows' !?

Better stay over here where it's cosy and warm...
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Well they are using the same forum software as we are, they are just using a different style, MR used to use the same color scheme and design.
  4. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004

Don't you just love how some PC users think? :rolleyes:

Now the last I checked OS X 10.3 cost $129 and Windows XP was like 200 or so. Am I right? :confused:
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I thought you needed Windows in order to run CherryOS :confused: (ie. I thought it was a Windows app).
  6. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I beleive the developers mentioned they were trying to make a version that did not rely on Windows, just hardware. I cannot elaborate or substantiate, which seems appropriate when talking about CherryOS.

It all seems highly suspect...
  7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Ugh! Some of the people on that forum are so ignorant! They think that Apple charges for updates when Windows doesn't. It's just that Apple doesn't take 7 years to crate a new OS! And then when Windows is updated (like SP2) it messes up programs (the reason I still haven't installed it on my PC).

I hate reading those types of forums - why do I keep tormenting myself? :p

8. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    can we ppllleeease all go over there and ream them? I mean, just go show them how horribly wrong they are? pretty please? come on guys...it'd be fun...honest...
    Plus, it's not our forum :D

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I gave up doing that when a massive online mob virtually committed assault and battery against me and left me to virtually die against a virtual pole in a virtual town square.

Some die-hard PC users...careful of them.
  10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    But Windows users don't buy software, only blank CD/DVDs. ;)

So OS X is more expensive for them. :D
  11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    Bahahahaha! What a bunch of stupid effing n00bs. It's not even worth arguing with these idiots because they are so ignorant.
  12. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004

Good point :D Let me rephrase my question then, OS X cost less legally than XP.

I think most people who put down Macs are indeed ignorant about Macs. They just don't know the truth about Macs and make comments based on what other people tell them (which may or may not be wrong), or make comments on Macs they used 10 years ago in elementry school. They may not even realize what Apple has out NOW. Macs have that stereotype that they are compatible with anything or are slow compared to PC proccessors (Mhz myth). I just wish people would do some research or something to learn the real truth about Macs and OS X.

ME and everyone else here. I think that should say, "Who in their right or left mind would want anything to with Windows?" Ahhhh much better.

Sorry but I just get REALLY defensive and ticked off when people put down Macs. :mad: :eek: (I mean seriously, I my heart starts beating fast and my palms get sweaty - not kidding)

I know I should respect people's opinions but that just makes me laugh. To me it's EXACTLY the oppiste for me. That thread (and forum) makes me laugh at all the problems posted. I mean I know Macs aren't perfect and we have a share of problems, but someone posted about a problem with Norton AV. Lucky for us we don't need NAV cause we don't got any viruses.
  13. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Talk about a car crash thread...I don't want to read it but can't stop myself! :p Comparing SP2 to 10.3...please!! :rolleyes:
  14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Arn should make you pay for posting this and wasting his disk space :mad: :p
  15. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Right, whatever. I don't see what's so awful about that thread. Sure, there's some ignorant and wrong statements in the linked thread, but you get a lot of that in these forums too.
  16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
  17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    That's an understatement. How many Mac users are lvl-headed when they talk about PC's? I actually know most of their names cuz they're the only ones that defended me in the threads I used to post here (back in '03 haha)--even though I actually spent quite a bit of time on G5's and my iBook.

You also have to remember that forums these days can have the "12 year olds" syndrome. In a sense, I would hope more forums would restrict access to reduce this problem, but you would be suprised the amount of fanboyism (AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD, Apple/PC) that can occur--even with older posters too.

I could spend my time linking the amount of FUD spread by too many Apple sites out there, but I don't do that anymore. FUD goes both ways, i guess its just ignoring the static in the end, if you will.
  18. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    IMO, that's a valid point. I guess there are a lot of PC users who had some experience with a Mac years ago. They haven't realised yet that OS X is so much different from OS 8/9. I once worked on PM 8100 and on a B&W PM running 7.6 and 8.1 respectively. While I admired the hardware (especially the B&W), I just never really liked the OS for some reason. However, I love Panther, it's by far the best OS I've ever used.
  19. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2002
    Golden, CO
    ive used Macs and windows all my life and i have one thing to say, OS 9 > XP!! :D :D :p
  20. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    ahhh nice thread...of course it works both ways...do i need to say 'next tuesday rumours' ;)
  21. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2002
    DFW, TX, USA
    Actually, you can get XP home for $99 or XP Pro for $149 at Fry's Electronics (maybe less via mailorder). It's the "OEM" version so you have to buy it with some other piece of hardware, but a USB hub or IDE cable would probably satisfy that requirement.

(No, that's not an upgrade version either)
  22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Could someone post a link to this thread on that website? Now, that way we could start a web-war with another website...could get messy... :rolleyes:
  23. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    I was actually quite surprised with the number of people who were defending macs in that thread. Sure there were a lot of people who were complete idiots and such, but considering my experiences with PC users (ie: all of my friends), I would have thought that 95% of the posts would be explaining the various reasons that Macs and Apple in general suck. However, I was particularly entertained by the post that said
    Reading that PC's are better in the long run really cracked me up. As far as I know, the vast majority of PC's HAVE to be replaced within three years of having been bought, whereas the computer I'm on now (not my normal one) is 3.5 years old or so, and going VERY strong.
  24. GulGnu macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2003
    It's not my experience that PC:s have to be replaced within 3 years. Therefore, it would be good to see some hard stats in this area. (It's another thing that PC:s do get replaced more frequently then macs, as they are

a) cheaper (to purchase / if you are knowledgeable - if you count time spent purging the boxes of clueless PC users, the number does go up a lot...)

b) used to run games to a greater extent
  25. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i started reading the last few posts in the thread before reading the beginning and forgot wtf this thread was about. imho the mac os x emulator business is a bad idea, however i also think windows emulation is a bad idea. different architectures were designed to run different software and should stay that way. i dont like it but i'm no tbashing macs.