PC games on iMac Core 2 Duo??

Discussion in 'Games' started by appletime, Sep 24, 2006.

1. appletime macrumors member

Hiya,

I was just wondering if PC games are able to run on the new Intel iMac Core 2 Duo? And if so, how well do they run?

Cheers
    M xx

2. Philgr macrumors regular

Just got my Imac 20'' 2.33Ghz, 256 Gfx and just installed boot camp and put BF2 on and it runs on max everything no slowdowns

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It will play most PC games pretty darn well - once you install Windows XP, of course.;)

4. appletime thread starter macrumors member

How does it work? Sorry, I'm new to Macs so I'm still finding my way around! What is boot camp and can I only play PC games when I'm on Windows mode? Does it mean that I will need to purchase Windows for Mac?

Cheers

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Boot Camp is a boot loader that gives you the BIOS to install Windows. You have to have a retail copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (single disc). There are installation instructions at Apple's website, but if need be we can describe it here.

As for games, yes, you can only run Windows games while you're in Windows.

And sure, they'll run. They run on my Core Duo MacBook, so they're guaranteed to run on a Core 2 Duo iMac. :)

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

To put it more simply, boot camp lets you install a regular copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (which you must purchase) on your Mac, and then lets you choose whether your computer starts up in Mac OS or Windows (you can restart the computer to switch from one to the other). You can only run Windows programs in Windows, and only Mac apps in Mac OS.

7. appletime thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info guys! That sounds good enough and makes sense. How much does the Windows Service Pack 2 usually cost?

Thanks

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

xp sp2 pro oem can be had at newegg for $140
    xp sp2 home oem for around $90 at newegg

I installed aoe3 on my 24"imac w/256mbvideo/2gbram with highest setting and looks very nice
    I spent this weekend playing the demo of dark messiah of might and magic at highest setting without the computer skipping a beat