PC gaming without the PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Apr 23, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa

Found this to be nifty. Basically it's a PC but they've removed everything but what it required to play PC games. Thought I'd post it here since I'm sure there'd be some people here wanting to game without the hassles of the PC. Runs off of a customized version of XP, though. as for price,
    Hopefully these things will take off.
  2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    It's going to be sooo expensive though. I know they'll have different price ranges for features. Very cool idea nonetheless.
  3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    DISCover? I thought it was called XBox. :rolleyes:
  4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Naah, the Xbox still has everything left inside :)
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Wait, all they're selling is T-shirts. I like the idea though, and would give a friend of mine to NOT buy a PC again. Now, if only it had a keyboard and mouse so that I could do my programming for class on it.
  6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    You would be better off getting a nice SFF box (like a cube) putting in an old HD 30-40GB and getting a really good video card. You could then use a KVM switch to share your monitor.

I feel like I am stuck with my PC for games. At least for a while longer.
  7. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    Seems cool for those who are not saavy enough to build their own machine for less.

What hardware will this thing have? (Did not find it on the site.) Most new PC games require the latest in GPUs and CPUs. The Xbox can run cool, new games because ALOT of programming goes into making the games just right for a P733 with a Gforce3.

If I want to run PC games, I'd like to do it at 1024x768 or higher with all the graphics cranked up- not on a TV with low settings.

I think this thing will sell well, but I don't see it as a real answer...
  8. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    I have a hard time seeing people ponying up $400 for a stripped down PC that essentially functions as a console. Hardcore gamers already own a console (or two) and most can build a better PC for only slightly more. The average consumer is going to look at the price and head for the PS2 or Xbox, a gaming rig that costs less than half as much. I'm just not convinced of the market for such a device.

As for the hardware, the Apex system will supposedly ship with "minimum specs" as follows: 256 mb of RAM, a 1.6 GHz Pentium processor, a 40 Gb hard drive, and "a discrete 3D video card"--sounds pretty weak for $400.

The FAQs I looked through didn't address patches, though it did mention adding information for new games, and the issue of upgrades is largely a no go except on higher end systems.