PC Hardware Question: PS/2 to USB keyboard difficulties

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by scem0, Jun 14, 2004.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

A month or two ago my dog chewed through my (USB) logitech elite keyboard . I got out my spare crap keyboard, and promptly started seaching for keyboards. I found myself fascinated with the illuminated keyboards, and I ended up buying a Xenix illuminated keyboard:

[​IMG](sexy, eh?)

My PS/2 ports don't work for some reason. I don't know why, they just died one day about 6 months ago. But that was no biggie for me, because I never used them. So, since the Xenix keyboard is PS/2 I also bought a PS/2 to USB adapter:

[​IMG](not so sexy)

I got the adapter before the keyboard, and I tried it with my spare dell quietkey spare spare crap keyboard (yes, I have a spare keyboard for when my spare goes out ) and much to my dismay, it didn't work with my quietkey! When plugged in XP said:
    Then I tried it on my Mac. No luck. Then I tried it with a PS/2 mouse (my spare-spare crap mouse ) on my PC - no luck. And then on my mac - no luck. This was where I wen't from to . The stupid adapter didn't work.

So, I head off to my local electronics store to get a ps/2 to usb adapter, not trusting eBay anymore. I come home and do the same thing - no luck!

Now I have an illuminated keyboard that I can't use and two ps/2 to usb adapters that don't seem to work! What do I do? I'm sick of my crap keyboard!

Oh and just to add: The keyboard doesn't work, but the computer knows that something is attached to it. When the message ("device unrecognized - blah blah blah") goes away, if I press keys on the keyboard it pops back up. So the computer just doesn't know how to handle the data it is receiving. That immediately makes me think driver (which I thought as soon as I knew that the keyboard and the adapter were fine). But after installing the driver for the Xenix keyboard it still doesn't work.

some specs that might be necessary:
    OS - XP Home
    Keyboard - Xenix Illuminated Keyboard - model LG-KB602.

Thanks,

scem0

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Hmm.. if you're dead set on using the keyboard, might I suggest a PCI-PS/2 card? You might have a hard time tracking one down.. its an older piece of hardware.

Otherwise, return the keybaord and get a usb model.

Sorry I can't be more help. :)

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I thought about a pci card, but after 5 min of searching I gave up. I'll search a little harder.

scem0

ugh.... can't find one ><

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

no one knows where I can get a PS/2 PCI card, do they?

scem0

5. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

For the love of... dude, bite the bullet send back your stuff and just get a USB keyboard. Yikes, sorry, I have no other solution for you.

6. Apple //e macrumors 6502

1) make sure your ps/2 ports are turned on in the bios. while youre there check usb legacy settings
    2)the belkin usb --> 2 ps/2 adaptor works really well. plug in the adaptor first and then the device
    3) try going to hardware manager and manually installing a "human interface device" driver for the keyboard (it should have a !)

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I know there is no waking up my ps/2 ports.

Already turned them on in the BIOS (and updated the BIOS too, just in case).

But I might try the Belkin ps/2 converter, even though i've tried two :cool:.

I'll definitely try the manual install.

Thanks,

scem0