PC in a Mac Mini. Video.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by WoofJoe, Jan 28, 2005.

1. WoofJoe macrumors newbie

*I'm going for the weekend so I removed the link and took the video off my .Mac site, there are links to the video posted below*

Video: Kevin Rose of the Screen Savers (G4TechTV) tears apart a Mac Mini and stuffs it with a prototype Via mobo, 1Ghz CPU, etc. running MS Windows. He and co-host marvel at the excellence of such an exercise.

Kevin Rose (on the right) is actually pretty cool and stands up for the Mac quite often. However, this hack is pointless as the Mini already provides, in a more brilliant package, what he's so excited about from board/chip supplier Via.

I can understand Mac, Unix, Linux, whatever geeks. I, for the life of me, will never understand Windows geeks. It would be like hanging posters of the 2001 Buick Century all over your bedroom or hounding your local newscaster for an autograph.

2. Icedog macrumors member

1 GHz huh?

So not only will it run hotter (according to the guy) but it will also be slower? You're right, I'll never understand Windows geeks. :rolleyes:

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Why?

Because he could I suppose....bet it screams, 1Ghz no less.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

This is just wrong in so many ways.

I bet he gets lots of hate mail from both PC and Mac geeks.

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I liked it, its a fun little project but in no way workable. Oh mac how much i love you, i wana have your babys mac!

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

also, it looks like you lose the optical drive, too. what a wonderful project... :rolleyes:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm still trying to understand the point of this endeavor, what a utterly stupid project, pull appart a Mini, and make a less powerfull PC, great :rolleyes:

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, what PC people will do to make it look like they own a Mac.

And they only spent $500 on the case - not bad. Perhaps he's willing to sell the useless electronics that came inside for $30 or so?

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I can't even spell the word "dumb" after watching that. You can tell the guy on the left is hating seeing this electrical-taped, klunker of a mac mini.

I guess the point was to show everybody that the mac mini will be copied just as readily as all the rest of Apple's products.

10. atomiton macrumors regular

cool video.

i think many of you missed the point.

Obviously none of you ever had your creativity stimulated as a child... or owned lego.

People modify things because they can. If people never modified things, then nothing would ever get better.

It's actually an innovative project and a credit to the innovation of apple.

11. brap macrumors 68000

If they're using the parts I think they are, then it's a credit to VIA and a slap on the back to the PC fanboys.

Not that I could stand to watch it to find out, of course :)

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

i know an easier way to do that......its called vpc.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not true. I've built lots of stuff - and used Legos.

I simply try to build things that improve upon what was there. This isn't even a Windows bash. They added a slower processor, no optical, and a sloppy heat sink. What they created was worse than what they started with.

14. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Links if the original goes down. And yes, this is a stupid hack to just prove that I could be done.

http://www.ducktapeandglue.com/tssmacmini.mov
    and
    http://homepage.mac.com/varmittang/tssmacmini.mov

DTandG is on a cable modem, so it will be a little slower.

EDIT: Also note, I don't think it has a CD drive at all, so what is the point of this hack at all if you can then use it. Plus it looks like windows 98, poor poor hack indeed. I bet that OS isn't even lisenced to run on that computer, HEHE! =P.

15. WoofJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you're saying. However, I think it would have been cooler to apply the Via mobo, etc. to a non-Mac case and cite the Mac Mini as inspiration. Heck, why even involve the Mac Mini? There are already several tiny computers that run Windows as it is.

Really, I'm annoyed by the implication (as conveyed in the video) that the Mac Mini is a waste of money because it doesn't run Windows.

As far as your creativity argument, I couldn't disagree more. There is a distinct difference between tinkering and creativity.

16. mstecker macrumors 6502

No optical drive

their mod didn't even leave room for an optical drive. Lame.

17. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i didn't get that sense at all...i saw rose at macworld and talked to him a bit at the etymotic booth and he was revved up about the mini. in his previous introduction to the mini (i think in was this past monday or tuesday) he showed its innards and did some upgrades. he extolled the virtues of the mini.

the video showed a guy who did something simply because he could. there was no implication about windows vs. the mac, etc. i agree that it might not be creative, but nice tinkering. plus, it's not like he bought the thing himself...he's paid by techtv to do stupid crap like this. it's his job!

18. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Im surprised he didnt short circuit the damn thing while he was spitting all over it.You can hear him almost hyperventilate.Ah to be a geek :p

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, no, I think this is *great*. And then you just have to add this skin to it, to make it almost perfect:

Is anyone familiar with the Rube-Goldberg challenge?

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

20. clayton macrumors newbie

Yeah, Rose is a fan of the Mac OS, he's said it a few times. I think he did it just because he could. Unfortunately, Tech Tv/G4 blows now. Remember the Screen Savers with Leo and Patrick?

21. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

yeah, whatever happened to leo and patrick? i don't watch techtv all that often (can't stand most of their hosts/personalities), but i did like leo and patrick, esp. since leo was a mac guy.

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's exactly the way I feel. Hacking suff just for the heck of it is cool. Hacking stuff to improve it in some way is even cooler. But tearing apart a mini to put inferior hardware into it just seems too much like a tacit implication that anything containing a PPC is useless.

And yes, it IS inferior hardware--the processor is slower (both in GHz and, I believe, in real-world terms), there's no optical drive, it looks clunkier, and the Mac-only argument doesn't fly since both the original Mini and this hack could run Linux, and the Apple guts would run it better.

I don't have any problem with the Via hardware, though; had this show said "Like the idea of the Mac Mini but want to build one yourself? Let's see if we can using off the shelf parts." and then demonstrated with some sort of micro case, a laptop CD drive, and this chipset, then I'd have said "Hey, neat." I'd still buy the mini, but then it's an interesting challenge instead of a dig.

23. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I was watching TSS this morning, and when that came up I started screaming at my TV.... I was confused... then I laughed at when he said it can overheat and lockup... how useful lol.

24. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Yeah, so i modded my hand. I took off a few fingers ... now i can't even pick things up! Cool!!! :D

what a ****ing moron ... i like to **** with **** too, but this is ****ing retarded.

peace.