PC iPod announcement!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by clubmedia, Jun 2, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

well this thinksecret report thinks a big announcement is coming this week.

i think it could be the pc iPod. what do you think?

2. jasonpaul75 macrumors member

I sure hope not...

I may be in the total minority here...but there are some new stiff competition that works on the PC's now available. Stuff from Rio and the like....why bother. I like knowing that IPOD is an exclusive!

I hope it doesn't happen.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I know several people that would purchase an iPod if there was software available to use it. I would imagine that Apple would prefer to release the software, that way it is certain to work correctly (at least on the iPod). Who knows if they are doing this, or if they are using another party to release the app through. I have a peecee as well (down for now, until I get another card :rolleyes: ) and would like the OPTION to connect it to the peecee IF I ever decided to use that for my music more. I seriously doubt that I would ever do that, but you never know. Considering how much storage I am about to have on that system, it could happen.

4. awulf macrumors 6502

I don't think there should be a PC only version of the iPod. Sure it might sell well but I think the iPod should just be a Mac thing. Plus some people even bought a cheap iMac just to have an iPod (I read that some where). By the sounds of it the PC iPod will be PC only, there for Apple will be making a PC omly compatible product.

5. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I don't think it's possible because Apple does not have a PC of iTunes and it would be unusual if Apple supplied it with a non Apple MP3 app.

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Apple have a windows version of quicktime, so why not do the same for iTunes and make it compatible with the iPod?

7. Jbear macrumors member

I dont think apple should make an peecee only Ipod. Compatible software is a different story. I have some 3rd party software I use on my work peecee to use my Ipod with, and thats good enough for me. I definately agree that there are many good peecee mp3 players out there, and I too like the idea of the Ipod be exclusively mac. Makes me feel special:)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If this announcement supposedly happening tomorrow was just Steve saying "Hey Mac faithfuls, we've just made an iPod for our arch-enemy! Isn't that great?!" how would YOU react? :p

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

My reaction??? How about charge them a few dollars more to cover the cost to develop the software onto the peecee... Sort of like what m$ does for each of it's operating systems... why else would they charge so much for it, besides the fact that they have so many people by the short hairs.

They should provide the peecee version of the software to current registered Mac owners/users or for people that previously purchased an iPod to go onto their Mac system (or one they access). That way those of us that either have both systems, or have to use a peecee at work can use their iPod with it (on software that will give full functionality and not f-up the iPod for when they get home).

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

This move would be lucrative for Apple, without question. But at the cost of losing one of the benefits of being a Mac user? That's a toss up to me. Sure, I want Apple to get some more marketshare under their belt (if this would even make much of a difference) but on the same token I don't want PC users to have the same benefit that Mac users have. It's a selfish pride thing I guess. But we can't have our cake and eat it too, can't we... oh well! If Apple releases a PC version, you know they will make it sound good. :)

11. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

look at it this way. in my eyes, offering a pc ipod is a great way of converting pc users. think about it, it is the cheapest way that a pc user can get a taste of the good life. and if they are impressed with the pc iPod, don't you think it could make them realize that the complete apple experience may be for them, and they end up buying a mac. i think its a winner.

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Exactly. So many windows users go on and on about how MHz this, DDR that... is all that matters. With the iPod, it's *only* 10GB, compared to other mp3 players out there with 20GB. Sure, it's not got the same capacity as others, but hopefully people will come to realise that it's not all about the high numbers, that the ease of use and practicality of it plays as big a part. Hopefully they'll start to respect apple products more, and actually listen, when apple says something.

13. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

yep, that how i see it. i think it will work too

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think you're more likely to see OSX.1.5 come out, especially with the MSOffice update requiring it. A PC iPod would be great, help Apple sell more, which means they have more to invest in new tech.

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Since when do apple hold press conferences for a .1.x release? It has to be more than just that. I'm not saying that it *has* to be a pc version of the iPod, but it's something, that's for sure.

16. ear2ear macrumors member

With the iPod on a PC, and the prospect of more digital devices in the future, I think Apple is trying to sell itself as the new Sony to the non-mac user crowd. Typical PC users could find interest in Apple's superior, and priced-accordingly like Sony's, products and make the same assumption about their computers (just like many have done with the Vaio). Didn't Apple make some comment about how sonny is their main competitor, not MS or dell. Think about it - they're going for marketshare through infiltrating the niche high-end quality product route.

Anyone else see it this way?

17. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Yes, but Apple would need to:
    * Since iTunes 2 can use AppleScripts, Apple would have to release a Windows version of Applescript
    *The CD burning feature would have to be compatible with XP
    *The interface would have to be Windows style.

18. MasterX (OSiX) macrumors 6502

Are you guys listening to yourselves? Apple would never make a PC only iPod. If they DID make a way to use an iPod with a PC it'd be a dumbed down version of iTunes that would only help you organize music, then would switch to EasyCD to burn. They wouldn't make Apple Script for Windows, since that's about the only advantage Apple has in their versions of Adobe's apps (and Color Sync natch). I think they would make iTunes for the iPod for windows ONLY AFTER the NEXT digital lifestyle device. Thus they could SLOWLY lead on the PC world to the ways of the Macintosh. So long as they never get real iApps like iMovie, iPhoto (super easy remember ppl) or iDVD 2 i don't see a real threat by giving away a $30 version of iTunes Lite to the PC world, if only to use an iPod. On the other hand the iPod is a REALLY REALLY big factor in many people's mind, which is why i STILL doubt apple will do it. Right now it's like this for a regular PC user: "I don't really care about not having 1/2 Life (or whatever) for a Mac since my PC runs them fine. All i need to decide is if it's worth an extra 30% cost to get a pretty computer, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, and access to an iPod." Right now as it stands between iTunes, iDVD, and the iPod a LOT of the 'almost-mac' users are going for a nice new mac. My dir-hard 'built my pc' friend has FINALLY come back to the mac (had some old 120Mhz mac in the day) after 5 years. Also my hard-core computer friend (not hard-core PC i mean) is getting an iBook for an iPod, and i need to remind him about the Apple Software Kit, which is a real interesting thing to people who actually understand C++....

19. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

i doubt just because iTunes "can" use applescript, a pc version of iTunes would require a windows applescript. but that would be cool making pc users use applescript! hehehe

20. joed macrumors regular

I very much doubt Apple will ever make iTunes for Windows. They make QuickTime for both platforms because it is a video standard (.mov) that Apple are hoping to get wide adoption - and it is. iTunes uses .MP3 which everone else uses as well.

I could however, see a colabiration with another company perhaps to make their software compatible with the iPod.

I also doubt we'll see a new iPod just yet, maybe at MWNY or just after. Apple tends to update there lines in 6month cycles.

Cheers,
    James.
    ----
    http://homepage.mac.com/jbadcock/index.html

21. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

when was the last iPod update? like 2 months ago, maybe? i forget, but it was only the hard drive space though. a color display should be coming soon, although apple does drag stuff along so that might be a little longer too. the ipod seems to fly off the shelves though, why not work it even more

22. joed macrumors regular

It was MW Tokyo that the 10Gb was released (March).

I checked Apple's web site and iPod software update was released 20th March 2002.

On a bit of a side track, I was thinking that QuickTime 6 is to released with Jaguar, which support AAC. At that time, I think we will see an update to iTunes and the iPod to support AAC encoding, as well as MP3 and AIFF. Just a thought!

James

----------
    http://homepage.mac.com/jbadcock/

23. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

So apple simply remove the applescript support from the windows version. They have to make changes to the way iTunes would interact with the OS anyway, so that would be a minor thing to take care of.

As above, simply remove that feature.

And the problem there is... ? Look at quicktime. The interface is the same as on the mac, except for the buttons on the top-left and -right.

24. MasterX (OSiX) macrumors 6502

The 2 announcements were QT6 Prublic Beta and eMac for everyone.

No PC iPod, i win AGAIN. :)

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Want to know what you win??? A beating for being so arrogant about it :p :D