PC iPod Weirdness...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax0, Dec 25, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

May 2, 2002
    Well, I went out and bought a 20 GB iPod for my father for Xmas. However, I am VERY very disappointed. It was working great at first, I encoded some CDs for him and all was swell. Anyhow I then encoded our entire Lord of the Rings CD set and was going to transfer them to the iPod when I plugged in the iPod and the icon showed up on the desktop but the icon didn't show up on iTunes. Very strange I thought to myself, so I logged out, restarted, did everything conceivable but no luck: iTunes doesn't recognize it, but the Finder does. It has the latest software and I ahve the most recent version of iTunes and 10.2.3. I am VERY pissed off, especially becuase it worked well and then didn't, and I don't know what to do. This is a PC iPod, not a Mac one, so I'm not sure if that's a problem or not (although I remember reading an article here a little while ago about there being no side effect of having a PC iPod on your Mac) Anyhow, suggestions are welcome!!!!!
  2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    I think the iPod's hard drive is formated differently for PC's. Try eraseing or reformating the drive. I don't know how you would do this. I today have become a pround iPod owner, I got it for Christmas :D I hope I helped. Maybe Disc Utility could help. I dunno Good Luck :)
  3. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    hmmm, well, i can't imagine why it worked and then didn't, i can however suggest that if you only want to use it with itunes this solve your problems undoubtedly by making your ipod a mac version.

i am guessing however that you got a windows ipod so you can use it with a windows computer? (why else???) although it should work with your mac, i would suggest *ahem* using a windows computer....

if you want to use with both, maybe someone can suggest a battle plan for restoring functionality on itunes, retaining the fat32 file system.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Use disk utility to format this to a hfs+ format. then download the ipod updater and updtate your ipod to 1.2.1. this shoud take care of all your problems.