PC iPod - What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax0, Dec 16, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I want to get my brother an iPod for Xmas; however, he has a PC. I know there are PC iPods, but what do I have to do to get one? Do I just go up to the guy in the Apple store and say "Yeah, I need a PC iPod?" or will any iPod do; is there a difference between the two? Can anyone tell me if he will need Xplay or anyhting like that? Thanks!

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just go to target or best buy and get one.

they carry the pc ones.

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Umm, no it won't. If you buy the Mac version, because it is formatted in HFS extended, the PC will not see it. Also, the PC software needed to import your music will not be included. Yes, you can take a PC iPod and make it Mac, but it won't work the other way around.

Regards,
    Gus

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Umm, dude, I think you misread edvniow's post.

Lethal

5. vniow macrumors G4

Isn't that what I said?

Click on that link and scroll down to MacBandit's post. He took a PC iPod and plugged it into his Mac and it worked just like a Mac iPod, no formatting, no extra software, no anything. The Mac version won't work like that since it's formatted in HFS and Windows can't read that format while Macs can read both HFS and FAT32 which the PC iPod is formatted in.
    The PC version comes with the Musicmatch software which is needed I believe so if you want an iPod which will work on both platforms, get the PC one.

6. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well call me an idiot. I humbly apologize. I wasn't trying to be mean, I just didn't understand what your message was. The title of that post made it sound like you were agreeing with the title of the post rather than the contents of it. Once again, my bad. I just wanted to make sure that the original poster didn't misread and buy the Mac version which wouldn't work with his brother's PC. Just wanted to cover the bases.

Sorry about the confusion on my part!

Regards,
    Gus

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Why doesn't Apple just make one version? If the PC version works fine on the Mac, its in Apple's interests to have less options to build for. I dont understand.

9. yzeater macrumors regular

It's because us Apple people don't want any connection to the PC world! (I say this as I'm on an HP at school...)

10. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I guess its always been the same. Even going back to using floppy disc (I used PC formatted disks so I could use them on my Mac + also on PC's.). Oh well.

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The standard connections between the platforms are different. :p

12. vniow macrumors G4

Not really.

Most computers have 6-pin FW (the kind you see on Macs) and few have 4-pin (Sony's iLink) so FW is the same on Mac or PC.

13. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I think that was a joke - same different standards - teehee, get IT?:p

14. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I went to Target in Redwood City, CA to get some Advanced Gameboy games for my newphews and they didn't have any iPod's on display. When I asked the clerk he knew nothing. But could have asked him about anything and he'd know nothing.

15. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I haven't seen any at my local target in Waterloo, Iowa either. I however have seen them at Best Buys.