PC laptop + Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by submike, Jun 13, 2005.

1. submike macrumors newbie

Is it possible to connect a PC laptop with the latest 20" Apple Cinema Display? If so, what laptops models do you suggest? Are there any adaptors I would need to buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Mike

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Just make sure the laptop has DVI. Some cheap-ass laptops only comes with a VGA connection.

3. submike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dubbz for the advice, but I'm looking for more specific information.

Anyone have experience hooking up a Cinema Display with a PC laptop? Or do you know of any PC laptop video cards that would support this?

I've done a lot of Googling and so far, no luck. I've run across an article stating that Sony Vaio's use a different type of DVI called DVI-D. I know desktop PC's will run, but you have to have a specific card to work with the display.

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

DVI-D just means it's digital-to-digital. There's nothing special about it. Some displays use DVI-A, which is digital-to-analog. And some are DVI-I which is digital-to-analog/digital (ie. both).
    AFAIK, the Apple displays has a DVI-D connector (or maybe DVI-I, but definitely not DVI-A), and while I haven't tried it myself, if the Vaio have DVI-D then there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Same applies to any other laptop with DVI.

Hope I didn't confuse you more :p

Edit: Another thing; Just looking at the graphic chip doesn't work, since they can usually support both DVI and VGA. But the people who build the laptops sometimes drop the DVI connector.

Edit2: If it doesn't say either VGA or DVI(-D), but only mention that it's a 15-pin connector, then stay away, since that means its VGA.

/Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. osprey76 macrumors 6502

They've got you on the right track, but I figured I'd clarify a few things.

DVI is Digital Video Interface
    DVI-D is a digital DVI connector
    DVI-A is an analog DVI connector
    DVI-I is an integrated DVI connector

So, what does this all mean? The Apple displays use a DVI-D signal. So, you can use a DVI-I or DVI-D input to run them. It will not work with a DVI-A or VGA (both analog) signals. The Power Macs have a DVI-I port. That's the DVI port with all of the pins across the connector. If you look at the DVI connector on the display, you'll notice that it has only some, but not all of the pins that the video card has. It is using the digital signal coming out of the video card only.

It's rather annoying, but DVI isn't just DVI like VGA is just VGA. But, that is how it works.

I am assuming you are talking about the current 20" or 23" displays. Most likely the 30" display will not with any laptop other than the current 17" or the upgraded video card 15" Apple laptops. The 30" display uses Dual-Link DVI. The connector looks the same, but has two transmitters on the pipe to have twice the bandwidth to fill the 30" display. If you connect that up to a standard DVI port, the display defaults to 1280x800. That looks pretty poor compared to the 2560x1600 native resolution.

6. submike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. Here's some more info on why I originally posted this thread, maybe it will spawn some other ideas.

I currently have a 15" Apple PowerBook with the latest 20" Apple Cinema Display. I also have a 2 year old Dell Desktop with 2 monitors. I'm a web designer/developer, so I do a lot of development/testing on both machines.

Well, my girlfriend and I will be moving to a much smaller condo/apartment in the next 2 months. I was thinking about getting rid of the desktop and two monitors, and replacing them with a PC laptop that I could use dual display mode with the Cinema Display. I do a lot of development in flash, and it's just easier to work with 2 displays.

So, back to the PC laptops. Most of the laptops I've come across have a VGA output. Some say you can use this (Gefen VGA-to-DVA conversion box), but I want to avoid using such a device (if possible). Essentially, I'm looking for a laptop that will function the same as my powerbook when I hook it up to the cinema display.

I guess I'm looking for actual experiences from people who have the same setup.

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I can't remember if it came with my cinema display or my powermac, but i think it was probably the cinema display...

It connects to DVI as you know, but there's a converter in the box, nice little white thing, that converts DVI to VGA. So you can use the display with and standard DVI or VGA port.

Hope that helps.

Hob

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Does the DVI-to-VGA converter is same as the natively installed DVI port as far as the graphics performance is concerned? I am wondering those converter will degrade the quality of graphics on the screen. If so, ACD will be the over-kill for those PC's without DVI port.

It seems most of the over the counter PCs sold in BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City, and etc only come with VGA port. I have not seen the PC notebooks with DVI port yet.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

A DVI-VGA adapter is completely different then a VGA-DVI adapter, they CANNOT be used interchangeably. DVI-VGA adapters cost about $30 while a VGA-DVI cost $100. It is much more difficult to convert analog to digital. Don't confuse the two, if you do choose this route, make sure it is a VGA-DVI adapter, you'll be able to tell by the price.

10. chrishowe macrumors newbie

Apple Cinema 30" and Sony Vaio laptop

Due to problems using my desktop (with Lightroom), I am mnow trying to use ACD with Vaio - I have now at lastt found an HDMI adapter so I can plug ACD into laptop - and the display works but only at 1200 x 800 or similar -from these old posts it looks like I might not be able to drive 30" ACD from the Vaio - does any one know for sure in 2008?

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Z11 will drive the 23" ACD with certainly the VGP-PRZ1, I've never tried an HDMI->DVI adapter so I don't know about that, but I would imagine it would be able to push out 1920 x 1200 to DVI through HDMI as well. The DVI-I port on the PRZ1 and of course the HDMI port would be single-link. Consequently a 30" ACD would most likely be recognised only as 1280 x 800 via DVI. One of my Z11's is running occasionally on a Dell 2407WFP-HC through the aforementioned VGP-PRZ1 and I have no problems.

It's really only the larger machines, or those with docking stations with have DVI ports as a rule. There are certain exceptions but actually, I find that the docking station approach makes much more sense than what Apple does, unless you're too tight (or confused by the components available to order for your machine - a common problem perhaps with those weaned with Apples) to buy said docking station. I can leave all the connections in and undock usually by a one-button deal.

Dell's Latitude E range are examples of such machines, and some of the upper-end Sony's also offer docking station DVI connectivity - as does HP's business notebooks and of course, Lenovo.

12. Ireland180 macrumors newbie

Connecting apple cinema display to Dell Laptop

I am having similar problems. I need to connect an Apple Cinema display to a Dell Laptop with VGA and HDMI ports. The Monitor has a DVI lead. Is there any way of making the monitor work without buying a seperate adaptor box. I am happy to purchase a lead adaptor though.

Look forward to hearing from any of you. Jeremy

13. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Just buy a HDMI -> DVI adapter?

I find it strange though that your Dell has a HDMI output but no DVI..

14. Ireland180 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Is there a particular type of adapter I need to buy? For example, DVI-I, DVI-D or DVI-A. I take it that the HDMI input is standard?
    Thanks, Jeremy

15. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Yes, if you plan to run high resolutions like e.g. 2560x1440, then you need a high quality adapter which supports dual link. Don't forget in that case to also use a cable which supports dual link.
    For low resolutions, a single link cable will do.

16. Ireland180 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Does it matter about the adaptor being DVI-I, DVI-D or DVI-A?
    Thanks, Jeremy

17. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Dvi-D is for digital signal only.
    Dvi-A is for analog only.
    Dvi-I can do both.

Since you have a HDMI output at your laptop, I think you should be fine with Dvi-D or Dvi-I. Dvi-A will probably not work.
    You will also have to check the Dvi-port of your monitor and see how many pins it has. Dvi-I and Dvi-D have a different number of pins. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

18. Ireland180 macrumors newbie

The Apple Display has a DVI-D (single link) so I will find a DVI-D female to HDMI male adaptor which supports dual link. Is this correct?
    I would have thought that it doesn't make a difference whether the adaptor supports single or dual link because the Apple display DVI connection is only single link. But it might be worth getting anyway.
    Thanks, Jeremy

19. valmar macrumors member

valmar

If your cinema display uses a single link Dvi-D, then you will be fine with a single link Dvi-D adapter and cable as long as you do not plan to use resolutions beyond 1920x1600. A dual link adapter and cable would work of course too but it is not necessary in your case.

Which cinema display are you using? The 20"? 23"?

20. Ireland180 macrumors newbie

I have the 20" display. I will try and find the adaptor so that I can use the monitor with the laptop now.
    Thanks, Jeremy