Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
I do some work for an all-Mac office. Recently, because of field work they do, and compatibility issues with some software they've just bought, they've decided they want to get a Windows-based laptop.

The only requirements are that:

a) it can run XP
b) it can network happily enough with their Jaguar macs
c) it costs around $3000 Australian dollars ($1750 US or thereabouts).

I was wondering if who uses both could give me an idea of what will work best in this situation? What brands are good?

It needs to be pretty simple (not a custom build or anything!) as I'm going to have to maintain it, and it's been a long time since I've even spent time alone in a room with a PC, let alone looked after one.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I detest my Vaio... the hard drive seems to corrupt randomly... I've never had those problems with a Dell machine though. As much as people harp on Dell, they've always been really hardy and had excellent customer service.

If I had to recommend a PC, that's what I would recommend.

Alia

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by alia
I detest my Vaio... the hard drive seems to corrupt randomly... I've never had those problems with a Dell machine though. As much as people harp on Dell, they've always been really hardy and had excellent customer service.

Alia

I've had some pretty bad experiences with Dells. Admittedly only their desktops (never used their laptops), but my experience has definitely NOT been that they are the "reliable" Wintel PC manufacturer.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
If you need to get a PC laptop, get an IBM ThinkPad. They're completely unremarkable as far as looks go, but at least they know enough to stick to basic black. IMHO they are the most reliable PC laptops. A bit more expensive than Dell, but you won't regret it. The R Series machines are good value for money, but the T series is great if you can afford a little extra.

With the sony laptops, you're paying even more for the name than an IBM machine. Dells have a cheap plasticky feel IMHO, the IBMs seem to be rock-solid. I have an older ThinkPad 600E which is still reliable as anything.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by losfp
If you need to get a PC laptop, get an IBM ThinkPad. They're completely unremarkable as far as looks go, but at least they know enough to stick to basic black. IMHO they are the most reliable PC laptops. A bit more expensive than Dell, but you won't regret it. The R Series machines are good value for money, but the T series is great if you can afford a little extra.

With the sony laptops, you're paying even more for the name than an IBM machine. Dells have a cheap plasticky feel IMHO, the IBMs seem to be rock-solid. I have an older ThinkPad 600E which is still reliable as anything.
I second the vote for the ThinkPad from IBM. Very solid machine (both driver wise and physical build quality).

I have one from 1999 running 24/7 at home (Pentium3 500MHz) that is a good little machine.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I agree with the comments on IBMs being solid machines, but they usually run a little more expensive than necessary. I also agree that VAIOs are troublemakers. I have had good experiences with Compaq-branded laptops (but are they still making them since they emrged with HP?). I think Compaq/HP have business-minded laptops that are fairly priced and pretty sturdy.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Cripes! Completely forgot my experience with the ThinkPad. Those are great computers too. Also, a friend of mine had an hp OmniBook that worked very well (I think he still has it).

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I am going to get a Compaq Evo N1015v which only costs £540 (about $800). It has a AMD1700XP, 14in screen, DVDrom and Radeon 7000 Graphics. It is all I need for the software I will be running. The strange thing about it though is that my PB G4 550 is faster at games, but has the same graphics card. PC laptops must not be very good at games.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Cripes! Completely forgot my experience with the ThinkPad. Those are great computers too. Also, a friend of mine had an hp OmniBook that worked very well (I think he still has it).

I know someone with an IBM and the fan went and the plastic has now started to melt.

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Yup, IBM's have the most dependable and solid notebooks. They may not be the best lookers, but they do their jobs well. I hate Sony's laptops, Gateways are always bad, Toshibas are okay, Compaqs are cheap, HPs are better and Dell is only because of their support when it...I mean, if it breaks down. I'd suggest a computer with a Centrino processor, usb 2.0, and a good screen. Are you going to need XP Pro or Home, because Pro is mainly a BTO option where as Home is mainly what you'd find in a megastore.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
fujitsu siemens.
i really like their machines, of course i can only judge with linux installed. but than again. it s really great.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Macette

I agree. IBM's are tanks. I still have a Thinkpad 760XL, and it's longevity is making like a Mac. Of course, it's not upgradable to bring it into the current world - but that's evolution.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
IBM Thinkpads are pretty solid, my school offered a deal where you could get them through the school for like 1500...a lot of my friends did (I stuck with my TiBook :) ) i've used them and they are pretty reliable, solidly built machines, especially for the price.

And I don't think that supporting IBM hurts one bit at all either. :D

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I vote for IBM too. I have a 30ED (P166 MMX) that still runs like a champ :p IBM seems to be the best.

I'd only buy a VAIO if you were planning on selling it for a lot. They get pretty good resale value (at least in Japan they do.) I've heard -don't quote me- that VAIOs are also slower than all the other makers because of all the propreitary junk they throw in. They are also a royal pain in the deriere to downgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.