PC Laptop Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rtdgoldfish, Apr 14, 2005.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Last night, my girlfriend's laptop fell off the coffee table. The cd drive opened on impact and bent the drive so it will not close. The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2100 and it is two years old. My question is this: can I purchase a slot-loading drive and have it fit into the laptop?? I pulled the drive out of the computer and it seems to be the same size as some slot loading drives I found online. Also, what is a good price for such a drive??

A Google for slot loading CD-RW came up with this: http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/309

Please help!! We have exams starting in just over a week and my girlfriend really needs her computer to take to campus to study. If it helps, I can take a picture of the drive.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

3. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Actually, I have looked there. There are several up for grabs and are going for around $50-60+ shipping. However, they are an exact replacement drive and I would really like to get a slot loading drive so I can avoid this problem again. I really hate these laptop drives that the whole thing just comes out. My iBook had to have its drive replaced for the same reason. The less moving parts in a laptop, the better.

On the other hand, I tried to convince my GF that she needed to get a new laptop and she should get a Powerbook or iBook. That didn't go over to well, she cannot stand using either of my Macs even for just browsing the net. :D

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Sounds like what you need is a new girlfriend! :rolleyes:

5. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I can see myself now: "I know we have been dating for over two years but I just can't date someone who doesn't like Macs."

Anyway, i just bid on a drive off eBay. Going for $36 now + $7.50 shipping. Guess that's not too bad. Would still like info on a slot loading drive though. After looking around, seems like the term is "slimline". As long as I purchase one of these slimline drives, it should fit, correct??