PC/Mac iPod confusion...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Oct 26, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Can an iPod (either PC or Mac) work as an iPod on a Mac and be seen as a Firewire HDD on a PC? Some people say "yes", some people say "no" anyone have a solid answer? I know Apple says it's unsupported, but lots of things work fine that aren't offically support by Apple. ;)

Lethal

2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

the mac ipod can work on a pc with xplay, i believe the mac ipod is hfs+ formatted. the pc can mount to a mac, but i don't think it can ato update, since its FAT32 formatted. i dont know if the mac one can be seen as a drive on the PC.

in summary:
    PC iPod: can mount to mac, will not auto update as mp3 player

Mac iPod: can work as mp3 payer on PC with Xplay, don't think it will function as an HDD

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

All I know is what Apple says, which is no, here is what is in the article:
    I have both a Mac and a PC. Will my iPod work on both?
    Answer: No, iPod is specially configured for either Mac or PC. iPod for Mac comes in the HFS Plus file format which is optimized for performance and usability in Mac OS X and 9. iPod for Windows comes in the FAT32 file format which is optimized for performance and usability in Windows ME, 2000, and XP.

If you purchased an iPod for Windows, you can easily reformat it to work on your Mac by downloading the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple Web site. Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac.

You cannot reformat an iPod for Mac to work with Windows.

Using the iPod for Mac on a PC, or using the iPod for Windows on a Mac, is not supported by Apple.

Question 9: Can I use my existing iPod for Mac on a PC, or my iPod for Windows on a Mac?
    Answer: You can reformat your iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac, but it is not possible to reconfigure your iPod for Mac to an iPod for Windows. This is because Windows does not support the HFS+ file system and therefore will not see the drive.

You can convert your iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac by using the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple website. Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X version 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac.

Using the iPod for Mac on a PC, or using the iPod for Windows on a Mac, is not supported by Apple.

If you want to look for yourself it's at http://docs.info.apple.com/article....alue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|156536325

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I believe you that Apple doesn't support it. But Apple doesn't support the deck I'm using w/FCP either, but it's worked like a charm since April. :)

Macs can rean PC formatted ZIP disks, would a PC formated iPod be that different?

Lethal

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Read it carefully. It says that Macs can read the PC iPod and convert it so it can be used with Macs. But, you can't convert a Mac iPod to a Windoze iPod because Windoze doesn't read HFS drives.

irmongoose

6. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

errr... it says you can reformat a PC iPod to be read by a Mac (FAT 32 to HFS+), but that turns into a Mac iPod and it can no longer be read by a PC.

Unless yer reading something I missed.

Lethal

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Read my previous thread on this topic. I have had personal experience doing this. No conjecture, no guessing, no apple said this or that. Real facts.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13087

Actually when I was using the PC iPod it automatically opened iTunes and wanted me to configure the auto sync.

Something else that happened automatically is that I had previously downloaded the Mac-iPod update expecting to have to rewrite the iPod software so I could use it on the Mac. Well when I plugged in the iPod I kept getting a message that there was an update for it. It was the Mac iPod updater wanting to rewrite th PC iPod to the Mac Software. I did not let it rewrite it since it worked fine on the mac without it.

8. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Okay, so just to make things idiot proof clear for me. :)

So, kinda like ZIP disks... Mac can read PC, but PC can't read Mac.

You have a PC iPod which works fine (as an MP3 player and HDD) on both your PC and Mac. You have complete iTunes-to-iPod functionality right out of the box, or did you need to tweak things or install any 3rd party software?

In a nutshell, here's what I want: an iPod that can be seen as a HDD when connected to a PC, and be a fully functioning iPod/MP3 player when connected to my Mac. What steps do I need to take to meet this goal.

Thanx,

Lethal

P.S. I apologize for the nagging<?> but being able to use the iPod as a cross platform HDD is a deal breaker for me right now.

EDIT: spelling

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There was no hacking, 3rd party software, or anything else needed. The PC-iPod worked just the way a Mac iPod would with a Mac right out of box.

In a nutshell you will get exactly what you want right out of the box. PC hdd, Mac MP3.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What about the "PDA" functions of the iPod? Did they work as well?

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yes after I installed iSync on my computer it automatically synched the calendar and such.

12. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sweeeeeeettttt

kick-@ss, thanx for the info MacBandit.

Lethal

13. Sherman macrumors regular

You could also buy dave so your PC can read HFS+ drives, maybe then it would work.

Stupid crap ass windows. Even linux can read HFS+ drives!