PC/Mac iTunes sharing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keith Purfield, May 8, 2004.

1. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2003
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    I can't seem to get my PC to see my Mac's shared music. My Mac can see my PC's "shared music" (It doesn't have any), so I don't see what the problem is. Both are set to share, and both are set to Look for Shared Music.

What's the fix?

Edit: I enabled port 3689 or whatever it is, and it still doesn't show up.
  2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Are they on the same LAN, or a firewall or anything blocking them?

Also, is your music share list monstrously big on your mac? A recent page I read said that could be a problem with sharing...
  3. Keith Purfield thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2003
    They're on the same LAN, and it was at 800-some MB, but I just changed it so it's at 467 MB. I'll have to see if that fixed it.
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    For iTunes on a PC you need to open up a second port as well:

Port 3689 TCP
    Port 5353 UDP

I'd guess it's because XP's firewall isn't stateful.
  5. Keith Purfield thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm running 2000 Professional on it.
  6. Redboy macrumors member

Jul 19, 2003
    I thought this was suppose to be easy?

I'm having similar difficulties.

I have a Thinkpad running XP and a B&W running 10.3.4, both running iTunes 4.5.

I recently moved. Before I moved, the B&W was getting its feed from my router via ethernet, and I could see the shares from both machines without any problems.

I moved and had to install a Buffalo pci wireless card in the B&W and everything is fine except for the fact that iTunes on both machines doesn't see the other.

I can do SMB file sharing without any problems. I don't have the firewalls enabled on either machine. I am using the same router (and incidentally, the same ISP), and the same settings. The only thing that has changed is that the B&W is now connecting wirelessly and now neither machine is able to find the other's iTunes share.

Any ideas? Please? I need the B&W downstairs for Cubase, and I need to be able to listen to the mp3's upstairs on the stereo. This is driving me batty.
  7. kurtph macrumors newbie

May 10, 2007
    I'm quite new to the mac, just purchased a mac mini 1.8.GHz which I love!

I know there have been a lot of posts regarding iTunes (-3259) port 3689 inaccessible but I wondered if there is a definitive solution/workaround?

I have exactly the same problem: I can see the mac library under the iTunes shared tab, just can't connect to it. I have a Netgear WGR614v4 (latest firmware), mac connected over Airport, PC laptop also connected wirelessly.

To add a twist, if I connect the mac to my router via the LAN cable, the PC laptop can see the mac iTunes library. I have also tried an ad-hoc link between the mac and my PC and unbelievably, it worked! (This proves it is not a firewall issue on the PC). Firewall has been configured on the mac for iTunes.

I have come to the conclusion that it is some problem with the router, though I have tried port forward 3689 and 5353 and also port triggering - but with no luck. I read one post on another forum which suggested installin Bonjour for Windows on the PC but I couldn't get it to work in IE.

I have noticed that by tweaking the settings on my router the itunes error changes from (-3259) to just hanging for ages. The library list eventually shows up, but nothing happens when I click a song.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. I guess I could just use the LAN cable but it defeats the point of using the mac Airport.