PC + Mac LAN Party?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thanatoast, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Are there any games that can be played across a LAN with a mix of pc's and macs? Most games I play connect by tcp/ip, but I've noticed they don't play with pc's. I thought tcp/ip was a standard? What's the story?

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: PC + Mac LAN Party?

I know that wen i play soldier of fortune online i play with a bunch of PCers. They have an unfair advantage though because the game runs smoother on PC's due to a bad porting to the mac.

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Re: Re: PC + Mac LAN Party?

Its not bad porting, its bad architecture. Now that the G5 systems are out, you will enjoy games as they were meant to be played.

Basically the G4s are based on 3 year old etchnology that did not change much. My dual G4 sucks at games. No amount ot programming will change that.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: Re: Re: PC + Mac LAN Party?

Really? Care to elaborate on that i dont really understand. I was under the assuption that my dual 1ghz would be able to play most games seamlessly.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't know what he is talking about. Almost every game that I have played on my dual 1 Ghz (not even the DDR model) runs fine. Just because it doesn't hit 150 FPS doesn't mean that it sucks.

P-Worm

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

My favorite game, UT2k3 has a hard time keeping the avg fps above 20 on my Mac. Yours is faster, great. Its not that much faster though. I refuse to play any game at less than 10*7 with high detail. Its 2003. I don't have any delusions of being able to play the latest and greatest game on my Mac, and if you have anything short of a 1.4GHz DDR PM or G5, neither should you.

My machine is an upgraded sawtooth, dual 800, 1gb ram, and a RADEON 8500. So a dual 1GHz with a GF4 will play UT2k3 better, but not that much better. My machine is a 1999 according to the sticker on the back, so I don't get too upset.

Ut2k3 is CPU limited, as are most games on the mac. That is why the GF4 can give you lossless high resolution performance in some cases (i.e. same fps at 10*7 or 12*10). The GF4 is waiting for the G4. My 3.36GHz P4 could probably just start to saturate that GF4 of yours. No Mac short of G5 will.

Anyways - back to the point: just because a game runs poorly on a Mac don't blame the coders. PC users do not complain when their 1GHz PIII or Athlon with a GF4 is not able to keep up with the latest game. If you think that some how, as if by magic, a similar Mac will keep up then you have been standing next to Stevo too long.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You're right, it doesn't run at 60 FPS on everything maxed out, but it does run and it runs fine enough to play. Maybe I'm just not one of those guys that care about detail and such when I'm in a heated game. But that's all personal preferance.

On the subject of poor programming, I don't see it as poor programming per se, but instead I see it as a lack of wanting to go the extra mile. ID Software is an excellent example of this. They use everything they have to optimize the game for any system. They use AltiVec. They code in for dual processors. They can do amazing things with beautiful graphics at low polygon counts. Reaally the only thing they can't do is make a good game. :)

I just see it as sad really. because PCs are such a high market share, they take top priority. Macs are built different, they have other things to take into account (and the G5 is going to make that difference even greater).

Well, that's my thoughts on the subject.

P-Worm

8. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

The only reason i say it was ported badly is becausei was wondering why it ran poorly on my machine and i asked around in here many months ago. The general consensus was the game was ported badly. As for people with slower PC's complaining about not being able to play a game why would they? They can easily enough buy an entire brand new state of the art PC for a little over a grand. However when a game comes out for mac and doesnt run well, especially when it is running on one of the best macs available at the time, i get a little upset. This is really the only complaint ive had concerning my G4. And by the way i played Soldier of fortune on an older PC with a P4, 900ghz and only 256 worth of ram and it ran much smoother on the same level of graphic detail than on my G4. This is why i attribute it to bad porting.

9. lewdvig macrumors 65816

The people doing the port are devoted Mac programmers in most cases. But it is true that they do not have the resources to put that extra bit of pollish into the final build. It might be 1-3 guys versus 12-15 on a PC game that put the finishing touches on.

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: PC + Mac LAN Party?

UT, UT2K3, Quake, DiabloII, all play across a lan as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Star trek Elite force, the mods of these games work as well. I know that Age of empires is not cross platform compatible:( and I'm not sure about others

11. couch potato macrumors regular

i so it with starcraft, mohaa, warcraft, diablo II, etc... most modern games will work, as long as they are running the same patch versions

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Many games are not* fully optimized when ported to the Mac because the companies involved don't want to spend the extra money on programmers. If Apple had a bit more market share and Mac owners bought more games, we would probably get better ports. Another way would be to have much faster hardware to make up for this to some degree, but that is obviously an expensive option. You really shouldn't have to need a dual G5 with a 9800 pro in order to get huge frame rates but until the game developers think they can make some money off of us we might not have a choice.