PC / Mac mini KVM problems - need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BartoK, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BartoK macrumors newbie

I have now tried two KVM's for switching between my PC and Mac mini G4 at the office without success.

The first, a Belkin Flip with USB, worked but would not allow my 17" MAG display in it's native 1280x1020 resolution.

The second, a TRENDNET TK-207K, worked fine at first but once I try to switch back to the Mac, it shifts the display into a refresh rate that it won't support and - no picture.

(/sob story)

Can anyone point me to an inexpensive KVM that successfully switches between PC and Mac without these kinds of issues?

Thanks!

2. paintballer macrumors regular

I use this to switch between my Xbox 360 and my PC. Its cheap, works pretty well, and I wouldn't think you would have any problems with it.

3. garfield2002 macrumors regular

I have been using an IOGear Miniview USB KVM with my PC and Macs for almost 5 years now without problems. Amazingly IOGear still sells this model from their website:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS102U

Although the link is for version 1 of the KVM I think they now have a Miniview version III. These work well if you do not need DVI. Good luck. :)

4. BartoK thread starter macrumors newbie

The Addlogix Manual KVM switch you mention looks pretty straight-forward. Any experience using it with a Mac? That has been where compatibility issues have been messing me up.

Thanks.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am also using a Belkin - mine is a SOHO 2-port. The most I can say about it is it works. It is VGA, but has no issues with 1280x1024. It is one of those products that I feel rather indifferent about, but it will work. It also has kind of a funky set-up.

I bought this to help with a transition between a Dell and a Mini. So, I did not want to invest much. If I were looking for a log-term functional solution, I would be looking elsewhere.

6. paintballer macrumors regular

I havn't used it with a mac but you shouldn't have any problems with it because it doesn't use any software.

7. ddekker macrumors regular

my bos uses a Linksys KVM and to switch the hotkey is to hit control twice, everytime he switches back and fourth the brightness on his powerbook goes down a notch... switch back and fourth a few times and the display goes to full dimmed..lol..

DD