PC/Mac networking advice for noobie

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iTwat, Jan 10, 2004.

1. iTwat macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2003
    Hi every1. I'm kinda new to Macs and some of the hardware that goes with it (like Airports..) so pls bear with me lol. I just need to know if this can be done and how. We've got a iMac upstairs and a PC downstairs and the iMac is on broadband (ntl). If i networked the 2 with an Airport would they both be able to feed off the same broadband connection, and if so would the one the broadband cable is connected to need to be running in order for the other to work? If so, what stuff would i need? (Airport base station with modem/antenna port, without modem antenna port, airport card etc..) ARGH it's confusing lol.

Cheers v much :) Stephen

PS-Sorry if this is one that gets asked a lot!
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    That won't work - you need a router

Sadly, you can't share an internet connection between Macs and PCs. Your best bet would be to connect the cable/dsl modem to a router, which you then connect to the rest of the network. If your network consists of only the Mac and PC you mentioned in your post, both connecting wirelessly, all you'll need is a short Ethernet cable to connect the router to the wireless access point (which doesn't have to be an AirPort base station). There is also another option - buy the AirPort base station with a built-in router and connect the cable/dsl modem to that instead of connecting it to your PC.